Chancellor, John William
|born on||14 July 1927 at 01:29 (= 01:29 AM )|
|Place||Chicago IL, USA, 41n52, 87w39|
|Timezone||CST h6w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||20°52' 14°37 Asc. 08°26'|
American journalist, TV personality, host of NBC's "Today" show after Dave Garroway, July 1961 to September 1962. He covered four wars and interviewed every U.S. President since Harry Truman.
He served in the U.S. Army 1945-1947 before attending the University of Illinois. He took a job on the Sun-Times in 1948 as a copyboy, progressing to reporter, rewrite and feature work. He joined the NBC staff in 1950 as a journalist-reporter and rose from local to national news with insight, dry humor and quick wit. One of his most memorable TV moments occurred at the 1964 national Republican convention when he was arrested for blocking an aisle during an interview. He left viewers good-naturedly reporting his situation as he was being led away and signing off with, "This is John Chancellor, somewhere in custody." From 1982 to 1993 Chancellor was best known as commentator on NBC's nightly news. Throughout his career the big stories, overseas assignments, interviews with presidents, political conventions and assortment of assignments led to a well-rounded career of great distinction as a journalist.
After six years of marriage and a divorce, Chancellor made a second marriage, to graphic designer Barbara Upshaw in 1958. They had two kids.
He retired in 1993. Chancellor was treated for stomach cancer in 1994; it returned in 12/1995 and he died 7/12/1996, Princeton, NJ.
- Death by Disease 12 July 1996 (Stomach cancer, age 69 less 2 days)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Social : Joined group 1945 (3 years in U.S. Army)
- Work : New Job 1948 (Copyboy)
- Work : New Job 1950 (NBC staff reporter)
- Work : Gain social status 1961 ("Today" show host)
- Work : Retired 1993 (Journalist-reporter)
- Relationship : Marriage 1958 (Second marriage, Barbara Upshaw)
B.C. in hand from the Wilsons
- Vocation : Entertainment : News journalist/ Anchor
- Vocation : Entertainment : TV host/ Personality ("Today" show)
- Vocation : Military : Military service (U.S. Army)
- Vocation : Writers : Columnist/ journalist (Reporter and feature work)
- Notable : Extraordinary Talents : For Verbal skills (Insight, humor and wit)
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Cancer (Stomach)
- Notable : Famous : Top 5% of Profession
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Two)
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3 (Two)
- Traits : Personality : Humorous, Witty (Dry humor, quick wit)