|Birthname||James Orsen Bakker|
|born on||2 January 1940 at 11:00 (= 11:00 AM )|
|Place||Muskegon Heights, Michigan, 43n12, 86w14|
|Timezone||EST h5w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||11°07' 17°03 Asc. 03°04'|
American TV evangelist who built up a huge fortune before he was indicted on 24 counts of fraud and conspiracy in 1987. He was born prematurely, was always small in stature and was raised in a strict Christian family. After Bible College, he was ordained a minister in 1964. He met Tammy Faye LaValley in 1960 while they were both still in school; after they married the became traveling evangelists.
In 1965, they went on TV where he played on his boyish innocence and appeal to claim divine healings and to solicit donations. He built his PTL (Praise The Lord) ministry into a $129 million a year business, with company purchased mansions, cars, jewels and trips. They also sold fraudulent "partnerships" in a theme park. His autobiography was published in 1976 and was entitled "Move That Mountain!"
Bakker's house of cards began to collapse when church secretary Jessica Hahn reported his seduction and betrayal in 1980. When the investigation began, he faced a possible 120 years in prison and a $5 million fine for siphoning $3.7 million from the business to live like Croesus. He was also accused of homosexual encounters. In May 1987, he tearfully confessed on TV to his tryst with Hahn and was defrocked. Charles Shepard won a Pulitzer Prize for his investigation of the PTL with his book "Forgiven," which was published in September 1989.
Convicted in October 1989 of fleecing his flock to a total of $158 million, he went to federal prison in Jesup, Georgia. He was released to a half-way house in July 1994 after serving 4 1/2 years behind bars and on 12/01/1994, he was a free man. He moved to a secluded North Carolina farm where he worked as a handyman and wrote a memoir, "I Was Wrong," published in 1996.
"I never planned to minister again," he said. In 1998, he visited the Dream Center in Los Angeles, a hospital complex associated with the L.A. International Church. There, he began his return to the ministry, and there, he met Lori Beth, a recovered addict also working for the Lord. Tammy had divorced him during his third year in prison and married his former business partner. In September 1998, he married counselor Lori Beth Graham, 41. The following year he was once more preaching to the fallen, with the compassion that comes with shared experiences, and published another book, "Prosperity and the Coming Apocalypse."
In January 1999, he was given a complimentary make-over by a plastic surgeon pal, a face-lift and love-handle liposuction.
His son Jay, 24, emerged in the news in 1999 as a Christian preacher representing society's outcasts, Generation X hippies, punks and Goths. Tattooed and goateed, a high-school dropout who can barely write, he calls himself "white trash" but adds that "God gave me a gift to relate to people and to see the common sense of the Bible." After his dad went to prison, Jay started hanging out with punks and going through a period on drugs and booze, before he returned to the fold of Jesus.
- lover relationship with Hahn, Jessica (born 7 July 1959)
- spouse relationship with Messner, Tammy Faye Bakker (born 7 March 1942). Notes: Happy
- role played of/by Spacey, Kevin (born 26 July 1959). Notes: 1990 film, "Fall from Grace"
- Work : New Career 1964 (Ordained a minister)
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1976 (Autobiography, Move That Mountain!)
- Crime : Trial dates 1987 (Indicted on 24 counts)
- Social : Institutionalized - prison, hospital October 1989 (Convicted of graft, prison)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Work : New Job 1999 (Returned to ministry)
B. Edwards quotes B.C. in AA, 7/1990
- Traits : Body : Size (Small in stature, slight build)
- Traits : Personality : Liar/ Fraud (Financial lies, fraud)
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Cosmetic surgery (Face lift, liposuction)
- Family : Relationship : Marriage more than 15 Yrs (32 years, div)
- Family : Relationship : Mate - Noted (Tammy Faye Bakker)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Two)
- Family : Relationship : Stress - Extramarital affairs (Jessica Hahn)
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3 (Two)
- Lifestyle : Financial : Gain - Financial success in field (TV evangelist)
- Lifestyle : Financial : Rags to riches
- Lifestyle : Financial : Wealthy (Handled $129 million a year ministry)
- Passions : Sexuality : Bi-Sexual
- Passions : Criminal Perpetrator : Prison sentence (Four and a half years)
- Passions : Criminal Perpetrator : Thief/ Financial crime (Siphoned $3.4 million from ministry)
- Personal : Religion/Spirituality : Western (Strict Christian)
- Vocation : Business : Entrepreneur (TV ministry)
- Vocation : Religion : Ecclesiastics/ western (TV evangelist)
- Vocation : Writers : Autobiographer
- Notable : Extraordinary Talents : For Motivating/Selling
- Notable : Famous : Criminal cases (Fraud and theft big time)
- Notable : Book Collection : Crime Collection