|born on||27 December 1946 at 00:30 (= 12:30 AM )|
|Place||London, England, 51n30, 0w10|
|Timezone||GMT h0e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||04°39' 12°33 Asc. 08°37'|
English television personality, producer and writer. From 1988 until 1996, she was head of BBC Youth and Entertainment. She then established and headed her own company, 'Screaming Productions', the group responsible for the BBC's Coast to Coast' broadcast in 1998. In 1999, she was appointed editor of "Independent on Sunday"
Street-Porter writes a restaurant review column for "Vogue" magazine and a column for "The Sunday Times" about walking and travel. Her columns appear as well in The Observer" and "Mail" Sunday editions. An award-winning journalist, she won the Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) award for originality in 1988, and the Prix Italia for her production of opera The Vampyr in 1993.
Considered one of most powerful and outspoken women in television, she has married four times. She claims in her book that loathed her parents, attempted to get rid of her sister and indulged in outrageous behavior including having sex to win bets in college. She admits that she had two abortions as a young woman. Mocking herself, she criticizes her big teeth, red hair, glasses, and Cockney accent that pronounces "youth" as "yoof." It is clear she can take as good as she gets as she is the subject of much derision in the British press.
She got her start in media writing for "Petticoat" magazine in 1968 after dropping out of her architecture studies. She graduated to newspapers, and, in the '70s, into radio in the and subsequently TV.
- Work : Begin Major Project 1988 (Headed up BBC's Youth and Entertainment Division)
- Work : End Major Project 1996 (Left BBC)
- Work : Start Business 1996 (Screaming Productions)
- Work : Begin Major Project 1999 (Editor of "Independent on Sunday")
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 2004 (Autobiography)
Sy Scholfield quotes from her autobiography, "Baggage: My Childhood" (London: Headline, 2004), pp. 22-23. The book states that she was born at Chiswick Maternity Hospital in London.
- Traits : Personality : Aggressive/ brash
- Traits : Personality : Attention seeking
- Family : Childhood : Family distant (she couldn't wait to leave them)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Four)
- Family : Parenting : Birthing - Abortions (Two)
- Vocation : Entertain/Business : Entertain Producer
- Vocation : Writers : Autobiographer
- Vocation : Writers : Columnist/ journalist
- Vocation : Writers : Publisher/ Editor
- Notable : Awards : Other Awards (for originality in 1988 and for opera production in 1993)