|born on||28 April 1906 at 08:30 (= 08:30 AM )|
|Place||Basel, Switzerland, 47n33, 7e35|
|Timezone||MET h1e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||07°06' 27°44 Asc. 03°23'|
Swiss conductor, patron and impresario.
In 1926 he founded the Basel Chamber Orchestra (Basler Kammerorchester), which specialized in both modern (twentieth-century) and pre-classical (mid-eighteenth-century) repertory. Immensely wealthy, he commissioned works from many well-known composers. Pierre Boulez wrote his Grawemeyer Award-winning work Sur Incises for Sacher's 90th birthday. Boulez bequeathed his entire catalogue (including drafts) to the Paul Sacher Foundation. Henze dedicated his Tenth Symphony to Sacher's memory, who had commissioned it but died before itz completion.
In 1983, Sacher acquired the Stravinsky estate. The Paul Sacher Stiftung (Foundation) is located in the center of Basel (in Münsterplatz) and houses one of the world's most important musical-manuscript collections. Sacher bought most of these manuscripts himself, and they include complete collections by several important twentieth-century composers (including Lutosławski, Ligeti and Boulez). In 1997, he received an honorary doctorate from the Academy of Music in Kraków.
He was considered the world's third-richest man of the 1990s after marrying the heiress of the pharmaceutical company Hoffmann–La Roche. At the time of his death, he was reputed in various publications to be the richest man in Europe.
He died 26 May 1999, aged 93.
- friend relationship with Berio, Luciano (born 24 October 1925)
- friend relationship with Boulez, Pierre (born 26 March 1925)
- friend relationship with Britten, Benjamin (born 22 November 1913)
- friend relationship with Dutilleux, Henri (born 22 January 1916)
- friend relationship with Henze, Hans Werner (born 1 July 1926)
- friend relationship with Stravinsky, Igor (born 17 June 1882)
- (has as) teacher relationship with Weingartner, Felix (born 14 June 1863)
Sy Scholfield quotes "Symphonie der Träume: das Leben von Paul Sacher" by Lesley Stephenson (Rüffer & Rub, 2001), p. 50: "Fast zwei Monate, bevor Annys erstes Kind zur Welt kommen sollte, setzten die Wehen ein. Um 8.30 Uhr am Morgen des 28. Aprils 1906, einem Samstag, gebar sie zu Hause einen Jungen."
Translation: Almost two months before Anny's first child was due to come into the world her labor began. At 8:30 in the morning of 28 April 1906, a Saturday, she gave birth to a boy at home.
Previously this data had 4 AM rated C: Taeger quotes Lescaut, who quotes Barbault.
- Lifestyle : Financial : Wealthy
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Conductor