|born on||10 October 1963|
|Place||Princeton, New Jersey, 40n21, 74w40|
|Timezone||EDT h4w (is daylight saving time)|
|Astrology data||16°37' or|
American journalist stationed in Pakistan when he was kidnapped on 1/23/2002 after arranging to meet members of a shadowy group of Islamic militants outside a Karachi restaurant. Pearl never made it into the restaurant. His captors, claiming he was a spy - first for the CIA and then for Israel - threatened to kill him and issued photos of him being held at gunpoint. He was the first American journalist taken hostage in the war in Afghanistan. An estimated ten days after being kidnapped, Pearl was killed by his captors who videotaped the scene of him being stabbed in the throat and of his severed head waved in front of the cameras.
The son of academics, Pearl was the second of three kids. He grew up in Los Angeles and attended Stanford U., majoring in communications. He was soft-spoken, charming and resourceful, with a capable presence. He began to work for The Wall Street Journal in November 1990 as a reporter, moving to their Washington DC bureau in 1993. Moving to the London office in 1996 he then transferred to Paris, from where he covered the Balkan crisis.
Pearl met Mariane, a freelance journalist, at a friend's birthday party in Paris and their wedding in August 1999 was attended by friends from all over the world. Mariane was pregnant with their first child when he was killed.
In January 2000, he was named the Journal's South Asia bureau chief and the couple moved to Bombay. After the terrorist attack on the U.S., he spent more time in Pakistan.
Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh calmly claimed to being responsible for the kidnapping and murder when he was picked up by authorities on February 5. He is a member of a militant group long involved in the struggle for control of Kashmir.
- Family : Change residence 1993 in Washington (Transferred to Washington, D.C.)
- Family : Change residence 1996 (Work transfer to London)
- Family : Change residence 1996 (Work transfer to Paris, France)
- Work : Gain social status January 2000 (The Journal's So. Asia bureau chief)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Crime : Kidnap Victimization 23 January 2002 (Kidnapped by Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh group)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
LMR quotes media for date; time unknown (Tony Louis writes, Based on the events in the news, I did a tentative rectification to 1:42 pm EDT but this is based on just a few items in the news and may be inaccurate).
His parents were Yahuda and Ruth Pearl, immigrants from Israel. It was written in one commentary that he was not technically Jewish, which usually means that his mom was not Jewish. As an educator, his dad's name is now known as Judea.
B.C. ordered by Carole 2/28/02 by phone
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3 (One, posthumously)
- Lifestyle : Work : Travel for work
- Passions : Criminal Victim : Terrorism victim (Beheaded by Pakistanian militants)
- Vocation : Writers : Columnist/ journalist (Reporter/journalist, Wall Street Journal)