|born on||15 April 1927 at 15:00 (= 3:00 PM )|
|Place||Melbourne, Australia, 37s49, 144e58|
|Timezone||AEST h10e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||24°14' 03°01 Asc. 17°19'|
Australian author and ecclesiastic, a Roman Catholic Priest.
His family suffered throughout the depression, but his father gave him his love for poetry and literature, his religion and his Irish heritage. John was sent to Catholic boys' schools and a visit to the Vatican confirmed his religious vocation. He subsequently left the priesthood and married. The author of over 20 books, he has had a career as an academic with his credentials including positions as: Professor of History and Manning Clark Professor of Australian History at the Australian National University, Canberra, Keith Cameron Professor of Australian History at University College, Dublin and Foundation Research Professor of the
Australian Catholic University and Visiting Fellow,Australian Dictionary of Biography, at the Australian National
University. His "I Am Ned Kelly" first published in 1980 and then in 2001 is considered one of the foremost pieces on the famous outlaw.
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 2004 (Autobiography)
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1980 ("I Am Ned Kelly")
Sy Scholfield quotes his autobiography "Luther's Pine" (Canberra: Pandanus, 2004), p. 3.
- Vocation : Religion : Ecclesiastics/ western (Former Roman Catholic Priest)
- Vocation : Writers : Autobiographer
- Vocation : Writers : Textbook/ Non-fiction
- Vocation : Writers : Fiction
- Vocation : Education : Teacher (College level professor)