Maximilian I, King of Bavaria
|Birthname||Maria Michael Johann Baptist Franz de Paula Joseph|
|born on||27 May 1756 at 04:30 (= 04:30 AM )|
|Place||Mannheim, Germany, 49n29, 8e29|
|Timezone||LMT m8e29 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||06°10' 16°09 Asc. 12°50'|
German nobility, as duke of Zweibrücken from 1795 to 1799, prince-elector of Bavaria (as Maximilian IV Joseph) from 1799 to 1805, and king of Bavaria (as Maximilian I) from 1806 to 1825. He was a member of the House of Palatinate-Zweibrücken-Birkenfeld, a branch of the House of Wittelsbach.
Maximilian was the son of the count palatine Frederick Michael of Zweibrücken-Birkenfeld and Maria Francisca of Sulzbach. He was carefully educated under the supervision of his uncle, Duke Christian IV of Zweibrücken, became Count of Rappoltstein in 1776, and took service in 1777 as a colonel in the French army and rose rapidly to the rank of major-general. From 1782 to 1789 he was stationed at Strasbourg, but at the outbreak of the French Revolution he exchanged the French for the Austrian service, taking part in the opening campaigns of the revolutionary wars.
On 1 April 1795 he succeeded his brother, Charles II, as duke of Zweibrücken, however, his duchy was entirely occupied by the French. On 16 February 1799 Maximilian Joseph became Elector of Bavaria and Count Palatine of the Rhine, the Arch-Steward of the Empire, and Duke of Berg on the extinction of the Palatinate-Sulzbach line with the death of the elector Charles Theodore.
Maximilian died at Nymphenburg Palace, near Munich, on 13 October 1825 and was succeeded by his son Ludwig I.
- friend relationship with Maria Anna, Electress of Bavaria (born 29 August 1728)
- parent->child relationship with Amalie Auguste, Queen of Saxony (born 13 November 1801)
- parent->child relationship with Elisabeth Ludovika, Queen Consort of Prussia (born 13 November 1801)
- parent->child relationship with Karl Theodor, Prince of Bavaria (born 7 July 1795)
- parent->child relationship with Ludovika, Princess of Bavaria (born 30 August 1808)
- parent->child relationship with Ludwig I, King of Bavaria (born 25 August 1786)
- parent->child relationship with Maria Anna, Queen Consort of Saxony (born 27 January 1805)
- parent->child relationship with Sophie Friederike, Princess of Bavaria (born 27 January 1805)
- child->parent relationship with Maria Francisca, Countess Palatine of Sulzbach (born 15 June 1724)
- sibling relationship with Karl II August, Duke of Zweibrücken (born 29 October 1746)
Sy Scholfield quotes "Bayerische National-Zeitung" No. 94, 13 October 1835, p. 377: "Max Joseph wurde im Schlosse zu Mannheim am 27. Mai 1756 Morgens ½5 Uhr geboren." [Translation: "born in Mannheim on 27 May 1756 at 4:30 a.m."]
- Vocation : Military : Military service (Colonel in the French army)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Wittelsbach)