|Birthname||Donna Ivy Faske|
|born on||2 October 1948 at 04:00 (= 04:00 AM )|
|Place||Forest Hills, New York, 40n43, 73w51|
|Timezone||EST h5w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||09°04' 02°49 Asc. 15°50'|
American fashion designer of DKNY fame. Karan's mother was a showroom model and her father was a suit maker. Her dad died when she was three and her step-father was also in the fashion industry. With design in her blood, she entered Parson's School of Design in 1968. One of her summer jobs was at the design house of Anne Klein where she stayed. Within two years she was promoted to Associate Designer and subsequently, at age 26, head designer, at the age of 26. In 1985 she established her own fashion house, Donna Karan New York. She developed an award-winning fall fashion line for which The Council of Fashion named her designer of the year. Three years later she introduced the DKNY line, a more moderately priced line designed to appeal to a younger crowd.
Outside of the fashion world, she is interested in meditation and Eastern philosophy. She married Mark Karan in 1973 and they had ond child, Gabby, in 1974. The couple divorced in 1978. She married Stephen Weiss, a sculptor, who became head of the company's cosmetics line. In late 1995 resigned to pursue his own career interests in the art world. In mid-1997, Karan gave up her CEO hat but remained Chairperson and chief designer. In 2001 her husband died of lung cancer.
- (has as) teacher relationship with Gannon, Sharon (born 4 July 1951)
- Relationship : Marriage 1973 (Mark Karan)
- Family : Change in family responsibilities 1974 (Daughter Gabrielle)
- Relationship : Marriage 1983 (Stephen Weiss)
- Work : Prize 1985 (Designer of the Year)
- Work : Start Business 1985
- Death of Mate 2001 (Weiss died of lung cancer)
Sy Scholfield quotes date and place from various biographical materials and approximate time from an article in the NY Times, p. 68, Feb. 23, 2003 by Isaac Mizrahi, :"WHY WE LOVE FASHION? IT'S PRESCIENT: Seer Suckers," in which Mizrahi states "One thing I learned early was that in the fashion business, the right psychic is as important as the right licensing agent. Donna Karan was a guest critic at the Parsons School of Design when I attended some 20 years ago, and within 10 minutes of her critique, we all knew she was a Libra with a Virgo ascendant. To this day the first thing she asks me when I run into her is whether I've been to see Maria Napoli, a psychic we both consult, a favorite of the fashion clan."
- Family : Childhood : Family traumatic event (Father died when she was three years old)
- Family : Relationship : Marriage more than 15 Yrs (Second marriage)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Two)
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3
- Lifestyle : Financial : Gain - Financial success in field
- Vocation : Beauty : Designer/ Fashion
- Vocation : Business : Top executive
- Notable : Awards : Vocational award