|Birthname||Horn, Uwe Ludwig|
|born on||3 October 1944 at 23:57 (= 11:57 PM )|
|Place||Nordenham, Germany, 53n29, 8e28|
|Timezone||MET h1e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||10°36' 05°44 Asc. 01°57'|
German-American illusionist,, half of "Siegfried and Roy." Roy,was mauled and dragged off-stage by one of his beloved white tigers during his performance in Las Vegas on his 59th birthday, October 3, 2003. With a severe injury to his neck causing extensive loss of blood, the performer was hospitalized in serious condition. This horrific incident was the first time he had been hurt by one of the many animals he had raised and trained. Siegfried, his partner for over 40 years, announced the cancellation of the act at least through year-end, a necessary decision that may leave the hundreds of people involved in the show without a job. The pair has been performing together since the late ‘50s, grossing well over $500 million and performing over 5,700 times at the Mirage Hotel in Las Vegas, in spite of being told 30 years ago that a magic act would never work in Las Vegas.
Roy was born in war-torn Germany, the youngest of four boys. During a bomb attack, his mom Johanna rode her bike to the safety of her sister's house to give him birth. His dad, having survived a POW camp, was not the same after coming home, and he began drinking steadily. Roy’s parents divorced at the end of the war. His mom remarried and his step-dad was also an alcoholic. Home was hell. Roy's only friend was his dog, Hexe, who came to him just after the war and is attributed with instilling in Roy a life-long love of, and respect for, animals. Roy claimed that he owed Hexe his life when the dog summoned help for Roy who, as a boy, fell into a swamp and began sinking. In 1958, at 13, he ran away and was hired as a page boy on a cruise ship, the MS Berlin (Nancy in San Diego writes that it was possibly the Bremen), that traveled from Germany to New York, and, while on board, he met 18-year old Siegfried. They bonded from the time they met, and once in New York, they left the ship to develop an act for small night clubs. They experienced a breakthrough when they were invited to perform for Princess Grace and Prince Rainier, and, in 1967 they began performing in the Follies Bergere Revue in Las Vegas with an appreciable salary. The MGM hotel opened in 1974, giving them a five-year contract. In the '80s, they played at the Mirage, a big hit with their sensational act and, since 1990 they have performed in a theater bearing their name at the Mirage six times a week, 44 weeks per year. In 2001, they signed a lifetime contract with the hotel. Roy incorporated big cats into their act, lions, tigers, a magnificent snow leopard, making their show a sensational experience for their fans.
On their $10 million estate outside of Vegas, Siegfried and Roy have successfully raised their beautiful white tigers and lions. The big cats have the run of the house, running free on the grounds and swimming in the pool along with Roy and Siegfried. Roy's mom has lived with them, managing the household and keeping their schedule running smoothly. Horn has been quoted as saying about his animals, "The first voice they hear is mine, the first touch they feel is mine, the first human face they see is mine. They just think I’m a strange tiger who walks on two legs" He has prided himself on knowing his animals, saying, "I always try to think as they think. We can always solve our arguments in an understanding way because I respect them and they respect me."
He finally left the rehab center on July 21, 2004 to continue building up his strength at home.
- business associate/partner relationship with Fischbacher, Siegfried (born 13 June 1939)
- Family : Change residence 1958 (ran away from home)
- Relationship : Begin significant relationship 1958 (met Siegfired, his partner)
- Work : Begin Major Project 1967 (first appearance in Las Vegas)
- Health : Job related injury 3 October 2003 at 8:15 PM in Las Vegas, NV (mauled by tiger onstage)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Social : Deinstitutionalized - prison, hospital 21 July 2004 (left rehab center)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Irmgard Rauchhaus quotes him, AFA DX 8/1995
- Family : Childhood : Disadvantaged (father an ex-POW, alcoholic)
- Family : Childhood : Order of birth (youngest of four boys)
- Family : Childhood : Parents divorced
- Family : Childhood : Sibling circumstances (born in war-torn Germany)
- Lifestyle : Financial : Gain - Financial success in field
- Lifestyle : Social Life : Animals, pets
- Lifestyle : Home : Left home early less than 18
- Personal : Birth : Traumatic birth (born during bomb attack)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Circus/ Animal acts
- Vocation : Entertainment : Live Stage (Las Vegas)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Magic