|born on||14 February 1946|
|Place||New York NY, USA, 40n42, 74w00|
|Timezone||EST h5w (is standard time)|
American song-and-dance man, a gifted dancer, who appeared in films and on stage, transforming the world of modern dance.
The child of an African-American father who sold soda and worked as a nightclub bouncer and an ambitious mother, a former showgirl with the Cotton Club, Hines was exposed to theatre early on in his life. His mother enrolled him and his older brother Maurice in a dance school when he was three. The brothers became professionals soon after, touring as "The Hines Kids." In 1952 they landed in a Broadway musical comedy, "The Girl in Pink Tights." In 1963, their father, Maurice Sr., joined the act as a percussionist and though they toured professionally and appeared in televised programs, the act never really caught on. In 1973, the group disbanded and Gregory's first marriage broke up. Purposeless, he moved to California and lost himself in drugs and sex and bit parts. The good news was that he met Pamela Koslow with whom he returned to NY in 1978 and whom he married in 1981.
Shortly thereafter he and his brother Maurice landed a part in the stage revue, "Eubie" followed by starring roles in" Comin Uptown" and "Sophisticated Ladies." Each performance garnered a Tony nomination. His appearance in the 1984 movie, "Cotton Club" brought him widespread acclaim. In 1985, he co-starred in the movie "White Nights" with ballet star Mikael Barishnikov and in 1988, she made the movie "Tap."
This multi-talented man died on August 9, 2003 in Los Angeles of cancer; age 57
- Death by Disease 9 August 2003 (of cancer, age 57)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Work : Begin Major Project 1952 (first Broadway musical)
- Relationship : Difficult period 1973 (group disbanded and first marriage broke up)
- Relationship : Marriage 1981 (married Pamela Koslow)
- Work : Begin Major Project 1978 (starred in musical revue "Eubie")
- Work : Gain social status 1984 (movie "Cotton Club")
PT quotes media at the time of his death
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Cancer
- Personal : Death : Illness/ Disease (cancer)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Dancer/ Teacher (tap dancer)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Live Stage
- Traits : Body : Race (African-American)
- Traits : Body : Aerobic exercise (tap dancer)
- Notable : Famous : Top 5% of Profession
- Notable : Extraordinary Talents : For Gross motor control
- Vocation : Entertainment : Child performer
- Vocation : Entertainment : Actor/ Actress