|Birthname||Griffith, Andrew Samuel|
|born on||1 June 1926 at 15:00 (= 3:00 PM )|
|Place||Mount Airy NC, USA, 36n29, 80w37|
|Timezone||EST h5w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||10°33' 20°35 Asc. 15°36'|
American film, stage, TV actor and gospel recording artist. Griffith enjoyed great success bringing his southern heritage to his roles in film, stage and television. His role as the humorous Sheriff Andy Taylor of "The Andy Griffith Show," lives forever in TV syndication re-runs.
Griffith grew up a sickly child in North Carolina having to repeat the fourth grade because of early illnesses. Upon returning to school, Griffith learned how to get attention by performing as the class clown. He discovered a natural ability to tell stories. He went to college as a divinity student with an interest in music and after school, got a job as a high school music teacher.
He left North Carolina for a shot at performing in New York. In 1956, Griffith made his Broadway debut in "No Time for Sergeants" with actor Don Knotts. Griffith was able to capitalize on his stage success by performing on TV and film.
His career had three distinct career peaks. He turned in a stunning performance in Elias Kazan's "A Face in the Crowd" in 1957. He then went on to TV syndication heaven starring in his own series, "The Andy Griffith Show" from 1960 to 1968 with his friend Don Knotts and a young Ron Howard as his son. His fame as homespun, humorous Sheriff Andy Taylor in a small southern town was popular with the television audience. After the show ended in 1968, Griffith went into a nine-year dry spell. He made five TV pilots and two series before starting his third successful phase in the southern version of Perry Mason called "Matlock," 1979.
After two marriages that ended in divorce, Griffith married 31-year old actress, Cindy Knight in 1983. He has two adopted children and lives on a 60-acre ranch on Roanoke Island in North Carolina, also owning a home near Bob Hope in Tulocca Lake, CA.
An easy-going perfectionist, Griffith prefers to stay clear of the party scene and keep a low profile. He collects a fleet of classic cars as a hobby. He went back to his religious musical roots to record a popular gospel album of hymns called "I Love to Tell the Story." In 1996, the album has sold 60,000 copies by direct marketing sales.
In early 1980, Griffith fell off the roof of his home and broke his back which laid him up for a year. In April 1983, a few months after his third marriage, he was diagnosed with Guillain-Barre syndrome. Recuperation has been long and painful with many days spent wondering if he would ever be able to work again. In his 70's, Griffith gets severe pain in his legs and feet from the disease, suffering from gout and arthritis. On 5/05/2000, he had quadruple by-pass heart surgery.
- Health : Medical diagnosis 1983 (Guillain-Barre disease)
- Work : New Career 1956 (Broadway debut)
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1957 (Film "Face in the Crowd")
- Work : Begin Major Project 1960 (TV series "Andy Griffith Show," eight years)
- Work : Begin Major Project 1979 (TV series "Matlock")
- Relationship : Marriage 1983 (Third marriage Cindy Knight)
- Health : Accident (Non-fatal) 1980 (Fell off roof- broke back)
- Health : Acute illness 1983 (Guillain-Barre Disease)
B.R. in hand from Stephen Przybylowski (The B.C. is hard to read, the date could be June 1, 4, 7, or 9; as all reference books give June 1, this is the date given.)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Actor/ Actress
- Family : Parenting : Foster, Step, or Adopted Kids (Two adopted kids)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Three)
- Traits : Personality : Perfectionist
- Lifestyle : Financial : Gain - Financial success in field
- Family : Relationship : Number of Divorces (Two)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Vocalist/ Pop, Rock, etc. (Gospel recording artist)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Live Stage (Legitimate theater)
- Vocation : Entertainment : TV series/ Soap star ("Andy Griffith Show")
- Family : Relationship : Mate - Age difference more than 15 yrs (Third wife 26-year-younger)
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Bone (Broke back, fall from house)
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Other Major diseases (Guillain-Barre Disease)
- Lifestyle : Social Life : Collector (Collects antique cars)