|Birthname||Friedman, Donald Ernest|
|born on||4 May 1935 at 10:20 (= 10:20 AM )|
|Place||San Francisco CA, USA, 37n46, 122w25|
|Timezone||PST h8w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||13°21' 07°18 Asc. 28°53'|
American musician, a pianist and composer prominent on the West Coast.
Don started playing piano at age four and began lessons the following year. He learned early to improvise.
Moving to the West Coast at 15, he fell in love with jazz two years later. Don studied at Los Angeles City College and also studied jazz on his own by playing along with records of Charlie Parker, Sonny Rollins and Miles Davis.
Don played with various groups in the mid 1950's in the Los Angeles area. He began recording as a sideman and in 1956, Buddy DeFranco hired him for a tour that included gigs in Birdland and Basin Street in New York. He thrived in the great and diverse jazz scene at that time, playing with most of the great players of that time and building his great reputation as a talented pianist. Don had known the legendary bass player Scott LaFaro in Los Angeles
and the two friends shared a loft apartment at the time. They formed a great partnership as roommates, friends and fellow jazz pioneers. In 1970, Don also began teaching at New York University as well as leading a jazz ensemble there.
He composed from 1967 and formed his own trio, then led a quartet 1965-66 on an European tour. He continues to draw critical acclaim for his music and respect from his peers, praise for his lyrical style and his technical virtuosity.
- associate relationship with Carter, Ron (born 4 May 1937)
- associate relationship with Dolphy, Eric (born 28 June 1928)
- associate relationship with La Roca, Pete (born 7 April 1938)
- associate relationship with Roach, Max (born 10 January 1924)
- Work : Contracts, agreements 1956 (Hired by Buddy DeFranco)
- Work : New Job 1965 (Formed quartet, one year)
- Work : New Job 1967 (Composer)
- Work : New Job 1970 (Teacher at New York University)
Contemporary American Horoscopes
- Traits : Mind : Child prodigy (Piano at age four)
- Vocation : Education : Teacher (New York Univ.)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Composer/ Arranger
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Group/ Duo (Quartet and trio)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Instrumentalist (Pianist)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Jazz