Francis II, Holy Roman Emperor
|born on||12 February 1768 at 04:30 (= 04:30 AM )|
|Place||Florence, Italy, 43n46, 11e15|
|Timezone||LMT m11e15 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||23°02' 05°42 Asc. 04°20'|
Last Roman Emperor and first Emperor of Austria (Francis I.), Francis was the son of Leopold II., whom he succeeded in 1792. His first act was to abandon his father's pacific policy by joining Frederick William II. of Prussia in a war against the French Revolution, The result was that by the Treaty of Campo Formio (1797) Austria gave up the Netherlands and Lombardy, but obtained in exchange the territory of Venice, with Dalmatia and Istria. After a short interval the war was renewed, with subsidies from England and troops from Russia, but Francis, defeated at Hohenlinden and Marengo, had to sign the Peace of Luneville in 1801. A third attack on France ended in the disaster of Austerlitz (1805), after which Francis, finding even his nominal power in Northern Germany destroyed by Napoleon's organisation of the Confederation of the Rhine, voluntarily abandoned the title of "Roman Emperor Elect" (August 16th, 1806), ending thereby a succession which in theory had been unbroken since Ceesar, and abandoning a title borne by the Hapsburgs with few intermissions since the thirteenth century. He had already, in 1804, proclaimed himself Emperor of Austria. The crowning humiliation of the reign was reached in 1809, when, after Wagram, Francis had to give his daughter, Maria Louisa, in marriage to the usurper Bonaparte, besides ceding large portions of his dominions. From this time the Emperor entrusted the direction of affairs to Metternich, through whose policy he was able to throw off the alliance with Napoleon, and to more than recover his territorial losses.
From his first wife Elisabeth of Württemberg, he has one daughter, and his second wife Maria Teresa of the Two Sicilies, gave birth to eight daughters and four sons.
He died 2 March 1835, Vienna.
- parent->child relationship with Ferdinand I, Emperor of Austria (born 19 April 1793)
- parent->child relationship with Franz Karl, Archduke of Austria (born 7 December 1802)
- parent->child relationship with Josef Franz, Archduke of Austria (born 9 April 1799)
- parent->child relationship with Karoline Leopoldine, Archduchess of Austria (born 8 June 1794)
- parent->child relationship with Maria Anna, Archduchess of Austria (1804) (born 8 June 1804)
- parent->child relationship with Marie Louise, Duchess of Parma (born 12 December 1791)
- child->parent relationship with Leopold II, Holy Roman Emperor (born 5 May 1747)
- spouse relationship with Maria Teresa, Holy Roman Empress (born 6 June 1772)
- sibling relationship with Alexander Leopold, Archduke of Austria (born 14 August 1772)
- sibling relationship with Johann, Archduke of Austria (born 20 January 1782)
- sibling relationship with Karl, Archduke of Austria (born 5 September 1771)
- sibling relationship with Maria Amalia, Archduchess of Austria (1780) (born 15 October 1780)
- sibling relationship with Maria Theresa, Queen Consort of Saxony (born 14 January 1767)
Arno Müller, vol 2
- Notable : Famous : Royal family