|Birthname||Lenardic, Richard George|
|born on||8 December 1929 at 20:30 (= 8:30 PM )|
|Place||Cleveland OH, USA, 41n29, 81w41|
|Timezone||EST h5w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||16°30' 12°39 Asc. 03°51'|
American homicide, suspected after 30 years to be the killer of Marilyn Sheppard. On 7/04/1954, Marilyn Sheppard was beaten to death in her own bed, struck with 35 blows as her husband dozed downstairs. Dr. Sam Sheppard was accused of the crime, convicted in short order and sent to prison. No one thought of connecting Eberling, the man who had recently washed the windows of the Sheppard home. Marilyn had bitten her assailant and the drops of blood had never been tied to Dr. Sam.
Sam Sheppard Jr was a kid when his mom was killed. As a young adult he began to pursue the case himself. He got a court order to examine the blood and traced it to Eberling with DNA evidence. Police found a ring in Eberling's possession that had belonged to Marilyn Sheppard.
Sam Sheppard Jr. has a legal claim against the state of Ohio over his dad's arrest and imprisonment, seeking a declaration of innocence of his dad's guilt in the murder.
At the time of the investigation, Eberling was in prison serving time for the murder of an old lady, Ethel Mae Durkin, a friend who had died some six weeks after a "fall" in 1984. Eberling and his friend Obie had faked a will to inherit her $1.5 million estate and he was convicted in 1989 of her murder.
Born to an unmarried mother and unknown father, Eberling took his name from a foster parent, but had never been adopted by George Eberling. He had an IQ tested at between 97 and 105. As a kid he was sexually abused, had temper tantrums, blackouts and migraine headaches. He lied and stole and began using alcohol while still young. He became a cross-dresser and often wore wigs.
His police record began in youth with a burglary record, and he was arrested in 1959 for hitting 40 homes and civic buildings. His cover was that of a window-washing business which allowed him access to both residences and offices.
He had met Obie in 1960 and they had been close companions for some 30 years, sharing property and schemes. Both said they were not gay but closer than brothers.
Eberling died at the Ohio State Medical Center in Columbus, OH on 7/26/1998, 6:10 AM. He had been taken there from prison the day before, complaining of sickness. He had been ill for a long time but the death was from natural causes.
- friend relationship with Henderson, Obie (born 21 April 1930)
- opponent/rival/enemy relationship with Sheppard, Samuel (born 18 May 1947)
- homicide perpetrator relationship with Sheppard, Marilyn (born 14 April 1923)
- Crime : Homicide Perpetration 1984 (Durkins died of a fall)
- Financial Crime Perpetration 1984 (Forged Durkins will)
- Crime : Trial dates 1989 (Convicted of Durkin's murder)
Bill Land quotes Peg Baker, his astrologer, who is mentioned in Sam Sheppard Jr.'s book "Mockery of Justice."
- Traits : Mind : I.Q. low (Tested around 100)
- Traits : Personality : Liar/ Fraud (Liar)
- Traits : Personality : Temper
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Headaches, severe (Migraine)
- Family : Childhood : Abuse - Neglect (Fostered out)
- Family : Childhood : Abuse - Physical/ Verbal (Sexually abused)
- Family : Childhood : Abuse-Sexual (outside of family) (Foster parent)
- Family : Childhood : Disadvantaged (Abused and mistreated)
- Passions : Sexuality : Transvestite
- Passions : Criminal Perpetrator : Homicide serial (At least two)
- Passions : Criminal Perpetrator : Thief/ Financial crime (Thief)
- Personal : Misc. : Changed name (Took name of a foster parent)
- Vocation : Misc. : Cleaning service (Window washing business)
- Notable : Famous : Criminal cases (Sheppard murder case open 30 years, books)