|born on||1 July 1961|
|Place||Karnal, India, 29n41, 76e59|
|Timezone||IST h5e30 (is standard time)|
Indian astronaut, Kalpana Chawla, Ph.D. was mission specialist; aboard Space Shuttle Columbia. The space vehicle broke up upon reentry on 2/01/2003 starting approximately 7:53 AM CST overhead from California to Texas. All seven astronauts were lost.
Chawla received a Bachelor's degree in aeronautical engineering, Punjab Engineering College, India, in 1982 , a Masters from University of Texas, 1984 and her doctorate from the University of Colorado in 1988. She began working at NASA Ames Research Center in 1988, transferring to Overset Methods Inc. of Los Altos, CA as Vice President and research scientist in 1993. Chawla was selected for the astronaut program in 1994, flew her first shuttle mission in 1997 as a mission specialist and prime robotic arm operator. She was also a mission specialist and in charge of a dozen experiments on board the Columbia, 1/16/2003 through it's tragic reentry, 2/01/2003.
She and her husband sponsored many children from the school where she studied and she was an inspiration for children to "follow their dreams."
- associate relationship with Anderson, Michael P. (born 25 December 1959)
- associate relationship with Brown, David M. (born 16 April 1956)
- associate relationship with Clark, Laurel B. (born 10 March 1961)
- associate relationship with Husband, Rick Douglas (born 12 July 1957)
- associate relationship with McCool, William C. (born 23 September 1961)
- associate relationship with Ramon, Ilan (born 20 June 1954)
- compare to chart of Space: Columbia #STS 107 (born 1 February 2003)
- Work : New Job 1993 (Vice President and research scientist)
- Work : New Job 1994 (Selected as an astronaut)
- Work : Gain social status 1997 (First shuttle mission)
- Work : Begin Major Project 16 January 2003 at 12:00 noon in Cape Canaveral, FL (Launch of Columbia, 16-day mission)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Contributed by Pat Esclavon Hardy, Tampa, FL, citing NASA and CNN news sources
- Lifestyle : Work : Work in team/ Tandem (One of seven astronauts)
- Personal : Death : Accidental (Reentry explosion)
- Vocation : Business : Top executive (Vice President)
- Vocation : Travel : Astronaut (Space Shuttle Columbia)