|Birthname||Don Glen Vliet|
|born on||15 January 1941 at 16:25 (= 4:25 PM )|
|Place||Los Angeles CA, USA, 34n03, 118w14|
|Timezone||PST h8w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||25°30' 28°03 Asc. 17°40'|
American musician, popular in the '60s and '70s and considered one of the most influential musician on the psychedelic rock scene. His 1969 hit "Trout Mask Replica" is perhaps his best known release. In 1982 he left the music world and became a reclusive visual artist.
Vliet, his birth surname, had cut a record in 1959 with Frank Zappa. In 1964 he formed the Magic Band. Some of their hits included "Safe as Milk" (1967), "Mirror Man" and Strictly Personal (1968). "Trout Mask Replica" has been defined as somewhere "between blues, jazz, rock and classical music."
Vliet was considered an eccentric and he did not conform well to the requirements of the music industry. In 1982 he released his last album "Ice Cream for Crow."
Since about 1984 he has lived somewhere in the California desert.
- Social : Joined group 1964 ("Magic Band")
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1967 ("Safe as Milk")
Sy Scholfield quotes the book by Mike Barnes, "Captain Beefheart" (Quartet, 2000), p.
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Group/ Duo
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Vocalist/ Pop, Rock, etc.
- Vocation : Art : Fine art artist
- Lifestyle : Social Life : Misfit (Reclusive)