|born on||8 June 1957 at 02:30 (= 02:30 AM )|
|Place||Windham NY, USA, 42n18, 74w15|
|Timezone||EDT h4w (is daylight saving time)|
|Astrology data||17°12' 25°54 Asc. 17°08'|
American cartoonist, the creator of Dilbert, one of the most successful syndicated comic strips in history. Adams is the author of several best-selling books featuring Dilbert, including "The Dilbert Principle" and "Dogbert’s Top Secret Management Handbook," and Adams received the Reuben award for Cartoonist of the Year in 1997. His cynical and biting look at the workplace and the foibles of management struck a nerve of identification from the "little man."
Adams grew up in the Catskill mountain region of New York State. He graduated from high school as valedictorian of his class and in 1979 got his B.A. in economics at Hartwick College in Oneonta, NY. He earned his M.B.A. at the University of California at Berkeley in 1986. Additionally he attended Clement School of Hypnosis and in 1981 became a certified hypnotist.
From 1979 to 1986, Adams worked at Crocker National Bank in San Francisco where he held, in his words, a number of humiliating and low paying jobs. During his stint as a teller, he was robbed twice at gunpoint. He moved on, taking a position at Pacific Bell where he did various jobs of a technical and financial nature through June 1995. In 1989, he began drawing Dilbert, a composite of Adams’ co-workers over the years. Adams continued to work his day job while spending all his free time drawing the comic strip. He gets many of his ideas from fans who send him their stories citing managerial incompetence.
A vocal vegetarian, Adams formed his own company to market convenient and healthy food products.
- Work : Prize 1997 (Reuben Award for Cartoonist of the Year)
- Social : End a program of study 1979 at 12:00 midnight in Oneonta, NY (BA from Hartwick College)
- Social : End a program of study 1986 (MBA from the Univ. of California, Berkeley)
- Work : New Job 1981 (Certified hypnotist)
- Work : New Job 1979 at 12:00 midnight in San Francisco, CA (Crocker National Bank)
- Work : Begin Major Project 1989 (Began drawing Gilbert)
LMR quotes colleague (name on file), from Adams; PT adds place from Gale Group publications
- Vocation : Art : Cartoonist (Pro, creater of Dilbert)
- Vocation : Healing Fields : Alternative methods (Pro hypnotist)
- Vocation : Business : Banker/ Financier (Bank teller)
- Traits : Personality : Humorous, Witty (Cynical)