Accident: Fire Iroquois Thtr.
|Birthname||Iroquois Theater Fire in Chicago|
|born on||30 December 1903 at 15:32 (= 3:32 PM )|
|Place||Chicago IL, USA, 41n51, 87w39|
|Timezone||CST h6w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||08°02' 23°04 Asc. 26°36'|
American accident, fire broke out at the Iroquois Theater. Over 1900 people, mainly women and children were in attendance at the holiday matinee of the popular musical "Mr. Blue Beard, Jr." At least 600 perished, including only one of the 500 performers and crew, the tightrope artist caught high above the stage.
The fire was attributed to a hot light against a velvet curtain, The flames spread quickly since the canvas backdrops had been painted with flammable paints and the theater , which had only been opened about a month, lacked fire extinguishers, hoses, and other fire-fighting equipment. Some of the exit doors had locked gates in front of them, while other gates required the use of levers to open them. In the ensuing panic, people were crushed to death or died of smoke and flames. The fire was put out within half an hour, and the theater re-opened less than a year later under a new name, The Colonial, which closed in 1925.
PT quotes AFA Bulletin 5/4/43, article by Keye Lloyd entitled, "The Chicago Iroquois Theater Fire. The author says the first alarm was turned in at 3:32 PM, but the Chicago Public Library says that the first flames erupted at 3:15 PM.
- Mundane : Disasters : Other Disasters