About the CPA
Director: Liz Greene, Ph. D., D. F. Astrol. S., Dip. Analyt. Psych.
The Centre for Psychological Astrology provides a unique workshop and professional training programme, designed to foster the cross fertilisation of the fields of astrology and depth, humanistic, and transpersonal psychology. The main aims and objectives of the CPA professional training course are:
- To provide students with a solid and broad base of knowledge within the realms of both traditional astrological symbolism and psychological theory and technique, so that the astrological chart can be sensitively understood and interpreted in the light of modern psychological thought.
- To make available to students psychologically qualified case supervision, along with background seminars in counselling skills and techniques which would raise the standard and effectiveness of astrological consultation. It should be noted that no formal training as a counsellor or therapist is provided by the course.
- To encourage investigation and research into the links between astrology, psychological models, and therapeutic techniques, thereby contributing to and advancing the existing body of astrological and psychological knowledge.
The CPA began unofficially in 1980 as a sporadic series of courses and
seminars offered by Liz Greene and Howard Sasportas, covering all aspects
of astrology from beginners' courses to more advanced one-day seminars. In
1981 additional courses and seminars by other tutors were interspersed with
those of Liz and Howard to increase the variety of material offered to students,
and Juliet Sharman-Burke and Warren Kenton began contributing their expertise
in Tarot and Kabbalah. It then seemed appropriate to take what was previously
a random collection of astrology courses and put them under a single umbrella,
so in 1982 the "prototype" of the CPA - the Centre for Transpersonal Astrology
- was born.
In 1983 the name was changed to the Centre for Psychological Astrology, because a wide variety of psychological approaches was incorporated into the seminars, ranging from transpersonal psychology to the work of Jung, Freud and Klein. In response to repeated requests from students, the Diploma Course was eventually created, with additional tutors joining the staff. The CPA continued to develop and consolidate its programme despite the unfortunate death of Howard in 1992, when Charles Harvey became co-director with Liz Greene. Finally, in February 2000, Charles Harvey tragically died of cancer, leaving Liz Greene as sole director. In the new Millennium, the CPA continues to develop along both familiar and innovative lines, always maintaining the high standards reflected in the fine work of its former co-directors.
Fulfilment of the seminar and supervision requirements of the In-Depth Professional Training Course entitles the student to a Certificate in Psychological Astrology. Upon successfully presenting a reading-in paper, the student is entitled to the CPA's Diploma in Psychological Astrology, with permission to use the letters, D. Psych. Astrol. The successful graduate will be able to apply the principles and techniques learned during the course to his or her professional activities, either as a consultant astrologer or as a useful adjunct to other forms of counselling or healing. Career prospects are good, as there is an ever-increasing demand for the services of capable psychologically orientated astrologers. The CPA's Diploma is not offered as a replacement for the Diploma of the Faculty of Astrological Studies or any other basic astrological training course. Students are encouraged to learn their basic astrology as thoroughly as possible, through the Faculty or some other reputable source, before undertaking the In-Depth Professional Training Course. The CPA offers introductory and intermediate courses in psychological astrology, which run on weekday evenings.
THE CPA DIPLOMA DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A FORMAL COUNSELLING OR PSYCHOTHERAPEUTIC TRAINING. Students wishing to work as counsellors or therapists should complete a further training course focusing on these skills. There are many excellent courses and schools of various persuasions available in the United Kingdom and abroad.
In order to complete the In-Depth Professional Training, the CPA asks that all students, for a minimum of one year of study, be involved in a recognised form of depth psychotherapy with a qualified therapist or analyst of his or her choice. The fee for the CPA training does not include the cost of this therapy, which must be borne by the student himself or herself. The basis for this requirement is that we believe no responsible counsellor of any persuasion can hope to deal sensitively and wisely with another person's psyche, without some experience of his or her own. Although it is the student's responsibility to arrange for this therapy, the CPA can refer students to various psychotherapeutic organisations if required.
Criteria for Admission
The following guidelines for admission to the In-Depth Professional Training Programme are applied:
- A sound basic knowledge of the meaning of the signs, planets, houses, aspects, transits and progressions, equal to Certificate Level of the Faculty of Astrological Studies Course. The CPA's own introductory and intermediate courses will also take the student to the required level of knowledge.
- Being able and willing to work on one's own individual development, as reflected by the requirement of individual therapy during the programme. Although a minimum of one year is required, it is hoped that the student will fully recognise the purpose and value of such inner work, and choose to continue for a longer period.
- Adequate educational background and communication skills will be looked for in applicants, as well as empathy, integrity, and a sense of responsibility.
Please write to the Centre for Psychological Astrology, BCM Box 1815, London WC1N 3XX, for fees, further information, and an application form. Please include an SAE and International Postage Coupon if writing from abroad. The CPA may also be contacted on Tel/Fax +44 20 8749 2330, or at www.cpalondon.com.
- The CPA does not offer a correspondence course.
- The course does not qualify overseas students for a student visa.
- The course is for EU and Swiss residents only, although exceptions may sometimes be made.
About the CPA Press
The seminars in this volume are two of a series of seminars transcribed
and edited for publication by the CPA Press. Although some material has been
altered, for purposes of clarity or the protection of the privacy of students
who offered personal information during the seminars, the transcriptions
are meant to faithfully reproduce not only the astrological and psychological
material discussed at the seminars, but also the atmosphere of the group
Since the CPA's inception, many people, including astrology students living abroad, have repeatedly requested transcriptions of the seminars. In the autumn of 1995, Liz Greene, Charles Harvey and Juliet Sharman-Burke decided to launch the CPA Press, in order to make available to the astrological community material which would otherwise be limited solely to seminar participants, and might never be included by the individual tutors in their own future written works. Because of the structure of the CPA programme, most seminars are "one-off" presentations which are not likely to be repeated, and much careful research and important astrological investigation would otherwise be lost. The volumes in the CPA Seminar Series are meant for serious astrological students who wish to develop a greater knowledge of the links between astrology and psychology, in order to understand both the horoscope and the human being at a deeper and more insightful level.
The hardback volumes in the series are not available in many bookshops, but can be ordered directly from The Wessex Astrologer, PO Box 2751, Bournemouth BH6 3ZJ, Tel/Fax +44 1202 424695, www.wessexastrologer.com.
Hardback volumes available in the CPA Seminar Series:
- Water and Fire by Darby Costello
- Earth and Air by Darby Costello
- Where In the World? Astro*Carto*Graphy and Relocation Charts by Erin Sullivan
- Venus and Jupiter: Bridging the Ideal and the Real by Erin Sullivan
- Planetary Threads: Patterns of Relating Among Family and Friends by Lynn Bell
- Astrology, History and Apocalypse by Nicholas Campion
Paperback volumes available in the CPA Seminar Series:
- The Horoscope in Manifestation: Psychology and Prediction by Liz Greene
Apollo's Chariot: The Meaning of the Astrological Sun by Liz Greene
- The Mars Quartet: Four Seminars on the Astrology of the Red Planet by Lynn Bell, Darby Costello, Liz Greene and Melanie Reinhart
- Saturn, Chiron and the Centaurs: To the Edge and Beyond by Melanie Reinhart
- Anima Mundi: The Astrology of the Individual and the Collective by Charles Harvey
- Barriers and Boundaries: The Horoscope and the Defences of the Personality by Liz Greene
- Direction and Destiny in the Horoscope by Howard Sasportas
- The Astrologer, the Counsellor and the Priest by Liz Greene and Juliet Sharman-Burke
- The Astrological Moon by Darby Costello
- The Dark of the Soul: Psychopathology in the Horoscope by Liz Greene
- Incarnation: The Four Angles and the Moon's Nodes by Melanie Reinhart
- The Art of Stealing Fire: Uranus in the Horoscope by Liz Greene
- Relationships and How to Survive Them by Liz Greene
- When Chimpanzees Dream Astrology: The Four Quadrants of the Horoscope by Alexander Graf von Schlieffen
- Mapping the Psyche: An Introduction to Psychological Astrology, Vol. 1: The Planets and the Zodiac Signs by Clare Martin
- The Outer Planets and Their Cycles by Liz Greene
- Cycles of Light: Exploring the Mysteries of Solar Returns by Lynn Bell
- The Family Inheritance by Juliet Sharman-Burke
- Mapping the Psyche: An Introduction to Psychological Astrology, Vol. 2: The Planetary Aspects and the Houses of the Horoscope by Clare Martin