Winckelmann, Johann Joachim
|born on||9 December 1717 at 06:30 (= 06:30 AM )|
|Place||Stendal, Germany, 52n36, 11e51|
|Timezone||LMT m11e51 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||17°09' 26°25 Asc. 29°08'|
German art historian and archeologist. First to articulate the difference between Greek, Greco-Roman and Roman art. "The prophet and founding hero of modern archeology", he was one of the founders of scientific archaeology. Many also consider him the father of art history. He is said to have influenced Lessing, Herder, Goethe, Hölderin, Heine, Nietsche, George and Spengler. His masterwork is "Geschichte der Kunst des Alterthums" (The History of Art in Antiquity) in which he presents a thorough, comprehensive and lucid chronological account of all ancient art, including the Egyptians and Etruscans.
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1764 (The History of Art in Antiquity)
- Death by Homicide 8 June 1768 (murdered in an inn in Trieste by fellow traveler for medals given him by Maria Theresa)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Sy Scholfield quotes "between 6 and 7 in the morning" from the German book "Memorial-Museum-Johann Joachim Winckelmann: Führungstext" by Gerhard Richter (Altmärkisches Museum Stendal, 1967), p. 22: "Anno 1717 am Tage Joachimij, welches war der 9te Dezembr, des morgendts zwischen 6 und 7 Uhr, ist unser geübtes Söhnlein Johann Joachim auf diese Welt gebohren."
Previously this data was rated C (Accuracy in question): Taeger Lexicon.
- Passions : Sexuality : Homosexual male (openly gay)
- Vocation : Art : Other Art (early practitioner of art history)
- Vocation : Science : Other Science (father of scientific archeology)