|Birthname||Pardee, Sarah Lockwood|
|born on||9 September 1840|
|Place||New Haven CT, USA, 41n18, 72w55|
|Timezone||LMT m72w55 (is local mean time)|
American noted family, the wife of William Wirt Winchester (born in 1837), the only son of Oliver Fisher Winchester, manufacturer of the Winchester rifle. They married in 1862 and had a child, Annie Cardee on 6/15/1866 who died at six weeks, 7/24/1866, plunging Sarah into a profound depression. A tiny woman, standing at 4 ft 10 inches, Sarah spoke four languages and played the piano very well.
When she was widowed in March 1881, Sarah inherited $21 million of what she called "blood money." A medium told her that all those who had died from the Winchester guns cursed her and in order to keep evil spirits away, she was to build. She bought an eight-room farmhouse in San Jose, some 60 miles south of San Francisco and began construction on it in 1884. For the next 30 years she had workmen busy 24 hours a day.
The sprawling, Gothic labyrinth has spires, cupolas and turrets. A great rambling Victorian house, it has exquisite woods and stained glass from Europe, ornate carvings and fittings, stairs that lead to blank walls, doors that opened to solid brick, rooms that exit into more rooms, hallways that meander without conclusion , secret passageways and observation spy nooks. Sarah had a séance room that she entered every night, alone. She apparently communed with her dead child as well as pay restitution for her wealth.
Sarah died on 9/05/1922 and by the year 2000, the Winchester House was a famed and weird tourist spot.
- Family : Change in family responsibilities 15 June 1866 (Daughter Annie Cardee born)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Relationship : Marriage 1862 (William Wirt Winchester)
- Financial : Buy/Sell Property 1884 (Bought farmhouse to renovate)
LMR quotes magazine article for date; time unknown
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 82 -four days)
- Family : Parenting : Kids -Traumatic event (Daughter dies at six weeks of age)
- Lifestyle : Financial : Gain - Money Through Marriage (Millionaire)
- Lifestyle : Home : Home centered (Under construction 30 years, house phobia)