Whistler, James McNeill
|Birthname||James Abbott McNeill Whistler|
|born on||10 July 1834 at 23:45 (= 11:45 PM )|
|Place||Lowell, Massachusetts, 42n38, 71w19|
|Timezone||LMT m71w19 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||18°20' 14°35 Asc. 26°14'|
American artist, etcher and lithographer who is often considered the most original American artist of the 1800's. He accompanied his family to Russia 1843-1849, where his father was building railroads and he attended West Point, 1851-1854, working briefly as a map draftsman for U.S. coast survey. He went to Paris in 1855, studying under Gleyre where he published his first set of etchings.
His important early paintings began to appear in London in the late 1850's and he painted many portraits including that of his mother. He sued Ruskin in 1878, winning the case, but only receiving one farthing in damages. Bankrupt, he went to Venice, 1879-1880, recouping his finances and reputation.
Beginning to lecture and write after a return to London in 1885, he was elected to the Royal Society of British Arts. Whistler returned to Paris in 1892 where he taught at the Academie Carmen but returned to London later. As a master colorist who was known for pastels and watercolors, he also did almost 400 etchings and 150 lithographs in his lifetime.
Died on 7/17/1903, London, England.
- associate relationship with Renoir, Pierre-Auguste (born 25 February 1841)
- Family : Change in family responsibilities 1843 (Family moved to Russia)
- Social : Begin a program of study 1851 (Attended West Point)
- Family : Change residence 1855 (Moved to Paris)
- Financial : Bankruptcy 1879
- Work : New Job 1885 (Began to lecture and write)
- Work : Gain social status 1885 (Elected to the Royal Society of British Arts)
Penfield Collection "recorded as just before midnight," not verified.
Starkman rectified to 23.48.12 LMT
- Lifestyle : Financial : Extreme ups and downs
- Lifestyle : Financial : Loss - Bankruptcy
- Vocation : Art : Fine art artist (Painter, etcher and lithographer)
- Notable : Awards : Hall of Fame
- Notable : Book Collection : American Book