|born on||31 October 1896 at 09:15 (= 09:15 AM )|
|Place||Chester PA, USA, 39n51, 75w22|
|Timezone||EST h5w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||08°41' 03°17 Asc. 10°36'|
American singer who, on her 14th birthday, sang at a local club and had a job by 17, making nine dollars a week working "from dusk to exhaustion." She had worked from the time she was 12, making $4.75 a week as a chambermaid. An illegitimate child, she was raised in the ghetto, stealing food to survive. Eventually she went on to do clubs, theater, radio, records, Broadway shows and movies. Known as Sweet Mama Stringbean, she was the first black woman to receive star billing on the American stage and screen. She debuted onstage in 1927, receiving great billings and success and achieving an equal amount of success with her film career. She was nominated for an Academy Award for her performance in "Pinky" in 1949. She gave another memorable performance in "The Member of the Wedding," 1952, as well as later starring in the TV series, "Beulah."
In March 1951, her first autobiography, "His Eye is on the Sparrow," was chosen as the Book of the Month Club's selection and a second autobiography, "To Me It’s Wonderful," was released in 1972.
Waters died of a heart ailment on 9/01/1977, Chatsworth, CA.
- Death by Heart Attack 1 September 1977 at 12:00 noon in Chatsworth, CA (Age 80)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1951 (Autobiography chosen for Book of the Month)
- Work : New Career 1927 (Stage debut)
- Work : Gain social status 1949 (Nominated for an Academy Award)
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1972 (Second autobiography released)
Autobiography, "To Me It's Wonderful," 1972, p.45, "Not 1900 as reported in my prior book, "His eye Is On The Sparrow", 1950, but 1896." As a young performer, she gave her age as being older in order to work in night clubs.
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Vocalist/ Pop, Rock, etc.
- Vocation : Entertainment : Actor/ Actress (Film)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Live Stage (Broadway and clubs)
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Heart (Ailment, terminal)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Child performer (Job in a club at 14)
- Vocation : Writers : Autobiographer (Two autobiographies)
- Notable : Book Collection : Profiles Of Women
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Diabetes/ Hypoglycemia
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Eyes (Cataracts, removed)
- Traits : Body : Race (Black)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Radio/ D.J./ Announcer (Radio)
- Lifestyle : Financial : Rags to riches (Raised in ghetto)
- Vocation : Miscellaneous : Cleaning service (Chambermaid at age 12)
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 80)
- Family : Childhood : Disadvantaged (Raised in poverty)
- Personal : Birth : Illegitimate birth
- Personal : Misc. : Changed name (Nicname Sweet Mama Stringbean)