Vlazny, John George
|born on||22 February 1937 at 18:24 (= 6:24 PM )|
|Place||Chicago IL, USA, 41n51, 87w39|
|Timezone||CST h6w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||03°59' 05°55 Asc. 14°58'|
American ecclesiastic, the Archbishop and Bishop of Winona, Minnesota 1987-1997; the Archbishop of Portland November 1997. The Portland installation Mass was held 12/19/1997.
Ordained a priest on 12/20/1961, he speaks English, Spanish, French and Italian and has worked in Hispanic parishes for 13 years. A vivid personality, Vlazny is cheerful, enthusiastic and friendly, a padre with humility and a sense of humor. He is a jogger, and is bright, kind and funny, well spoken of in his parish.
During the November 1998 Bishops' meeting in Washington, DC, he was elected chairman of the U.S. bishops Committee on Women in Society and in the Church. He underscored the role of women going into the year 2000.
The Archbishop of Portland, OR announced on July 6, 2004 that he was filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection for the archdiocese. The archdiocese faces a potentially costly settlement of a priest-abuse trial which began that day. Vlazny’s announcement marks the first time that a Catholic Archdiocese has ever taken such a financially-protective measure.
- Work : New Job 1987 (Archbishop of Winona, Mn.)
Romy Ransom quotes his office, 1997
- Notable : Extraordinary Talents : For Languages (Four languages)
- Vocation : Religion : Ecclesiastics/ western (R.C. Bishop, Archbishop, Committee member)
- Traits : Personality : Humorous, Witty
- Traits : Personality : Loved by all
- Passions : Sexuality : Celibacy/ Minimal
- Lifestyle : Social Life : Outdoors (Jogger)