|born on||1 December 1933|
|Place||Chicago IL, USA, 41n51, 87w39|
|Timezone||CST h6w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||09°07' or|
American musician whose deep voice, handsome appearance, and versatile vocal talents earned him a place in American music. He is perhaps best known for his deep-throated, up-tempo, sexy rendition of "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine," (1976), "Lady Love" and "Natural Man."
Rawls was born on the Southside of Chicago, a rough neighborhood, and brought up by his grandparents. Little seems to be known about his early childhood but he was exposed to Gospel music early in his life. When he returned from serving his military duty in the Army, he also returned to Gospel music. His friendship and association with the another great vocalist, Sam Cooke, cemented his musical career and he sang in cabarets and music halls across the United States until he got his first record contract in 1960 with Capitol Records. By the end of the decade he had established himself as a talented and popular soul singer. The early '70s found him straying into rock and roll but not forgetting his roots in soul and jazz. Rawls won a Grammy award in 1967 for his single "Dead End Street," in 1971 for an album, "A Natural Man," and another in 1977 for his album, "Unmistakably Lou." All told, he copped one platinum and four gold albums.
In addition to his award-winning career he was a quiet but generous philanthropist, having raised and donated millions of dollars to fund college education for African-Americans.
Rawls was married three times. He married his third wife Nina A. Malek Inman in January 2004 and they had an infant son Aiden Allen Rawls, born in Akron, Ohio on January 10, 2005. Rawls had three adult children from his two previous marriages.
Rawls was diagnosed with lung cancer in December 2004 and brain cancer in May 2005. He died on January 6, 2006 in Los Angeles just a month after his 72nd birthday, assuming 1933 is his correct birth year.
- business associate/partner relationship with Matthews, Onzy (born 15 January 1930)
- Work : Prize 1967 (Grammy)
- Work : Prize 1971 (Grammy)
- Work : Prize 1977 (Third Grammy)
- Family : Change in family responsibilities 10 January 2005 (Fourth child, a son Aiden born in Akron, OH)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
PT quotes his official website "www.lourawls.com for date, without time. CNN.com gives same in his obituary and New York Times obituary gives age at death as 72. However, other sources give 1935 and 1936. In Illinois, birth records are accessible at/after age 75. According to Gale Group publications, which are not always accurate, he was born Louis Allen Rawls, December 1, 1936, in Chicago; son of Virgil (a Baptist minister) and Evelyn Rawls; raised mostly by grandmother Eliza Rawls"
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Cancer
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Brain
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Lung
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Four; different mothers)
- Lifestyle : Work : Travel for work
- Personal : Death : Illness/ Disease
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Jazz
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Vocalist/ Pop, Rock, etc.
- Notable : Awards : Grammy