|born on||26 October 1818 at 15:00 (= 3:00 PM )|
|Place||Portland ME, USA, 43n39, 70w15|
|Timezone||LMT m70w15 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||02°49' 25°18 Asc. 10°54'|
American writer; the author of more than 20 volumes including a number of children’s books such as the "Little Suzy Library." Her most famous work is probably "Stepping Heavenward," 1869. She wrote several hymns, with the best known being "More Love to Thee, O Christ."
The daughter of a minister, Prentiss grew up in a large family. Always interested in writing, she had her first taste of publishing success when one of her stories was printed in the Youth’s Companion in 1834. From 1838-44, she taught school, initially at home and later at a girls’ school in Richmond, Virginia. During the 1850s she began writing and enjoyed modest success, but the ill health that had plagued her during childhood continued to play a role in her life.
In 1845, she married a newly ordained pastor, George Lewis Prentiss. Soon after the birth of their first daughter, their life together became marked by a number of tragedies. In 1948 she gave birth to a son, Eddy. Born weak and in poor health, he was not expected to live, but finally recovered. In 1853, however, he fell ill once again and died, leaving his mother devastated. During the same year, a daughter, Elizabeth, was born but lived only a month. Prentiss gave birth to a daughter in 1854, had another son in 1857, and in 1859, she gave birth to her sixth child while spending some time abroad in Switzerland.
Prentiss died on 8/13/1878, Dorset, Vermont.
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1869 (Noted book "Stepping Heavenward" released)
- Work : New Career 1834 (First publication of written work)
- Work : New Career 1838 (Taught school, six years)
- Relationship : Marriage 1845 (George Lewis Prentiss)
- Family : Change in family responsibilities 1848 (Son Eddy born)
- Death of Child 1853 (Eddy died)
- Family : Change in family responsibilities 1853 (Daughter Elizabeth born, only lived one month)
- Family : Change in family responsibilities 1854 (Daughter born)
- Family : Change in family responsibilities 1857 (Son born)
- Family : Change in family responsibilities 1859 (6th child born)
- Death, Cause unspecified 13 August 1878 at 12:00 noon in Dorset, VA (Age 59)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
LMR quotes a handwritten list by Andre Barbault in hand that quotes "Elizabeth Prentiss," Hodder & Stoughton Edition
- Vocation : Writers : Children's literature
- Vocation : Writers : Fiction
- Vocation : Writers : Religion/ Philosophy (Hymns)
- Traits : Body : Constitution sensitive (Ill health)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Six, four survived)
- Family : Parenting : Kids -Traumatic event (Two children died)
- Family : Childhood : Family large
- Vocation : Education : Teacher (Girl's school)