|Birthname||Laura MacKenzie Phillips|
|born on||10 November 1959 at 21:35 (= 9:35 PM )|
|Place||Alexandria, Virginia, 38n48, 77w03|
|Timezone||EST h5w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||17°57' 00°13 Asc. 26°55'|
American actress and noted family, the daughter of John Phillips, formerly of the "Mamas and Papas." She made her film debut at 13 and began a starring role on the TV series "One Day at a Time" two years later.
By the age of 18, she moved away from home into her own $150,000 bachelor girl home in the high rent district of the Hollywood Hills. With too much money and not enough control, she was already traveling in the fast lane with one drug bust behind her. A product of the golden ghetto, rich and spoiled, she started smoking pot at the age of 12 and drank heavily by the time she was 14. An abuser of coke and psychedelics, she became erratic on the TV series. When she was fired, she took some TV and film roles but was increasingly unreliable and sickly, losing weight. Mackenzie and her dad, who was on heroin, entered a drug rehabilitation program together in New Jersey, 1980, to kick their addiction habits.
She returned to her series in the fall of '81 and since then, she and her father have toured and lectured on the dangers of drugs. Phillips, however, fell by the wayside once again, entering rehab at the Alina Lodge in Blairstown, NJ, in 1992.
She spent nine years as a rocker, touring the world with a reconstructed Mamas and Papas, 1983-1992. She was already house mates with the group's guitarist from 1981, Shane Fontayne; their son Shane was born in 1987. Phillips separated with Fontayne and quit the tour in 1992. She moved to their mountain hideaway home near Stroudsbury, PA to make her most serious attempt to kick the habit, supported by AA and the love of her son.
Reevaluating her life, she moved back to Hollywood in 1994 looking for work. In 1995 she played a guest role in two episodes of "Melrose Place" and landed a role in the TV series "Beverly Hills 90210." In 1999 she has started in the role of traveling mom in the Disney TV series "So Weird" which allows her to continue her talents of both acting and singing. To date, she claims that her greatest achievement has been to stay clean and sober for seven years. She is involved in many organizations that are recovery-oriented.
Phillips filed for divorce from her husband of three years, Michael Barakan, 2/16/2000 and they will share custody of their 13-year old son, Shane. On 3/18/2001, her dad, John, 65, died peacefully at 8:10 AM, West Hollywood. She was one of his five kids from his first three marriages.
Her memoir, "High on Arrival" was released in September 2009. In the tell-all book she reveals an incestuous relationship with her dad and describes her battle with drugs.
- associate relationship with Bertinelli, Valerie (born 23 April 1960). Notes: co-stars on "One Day at a Time"
- associate relationship with Entertainment: Beverly Hills, 90210 (born 4 October 1990). Notes: Played Ellen Marks, 1994
- business associate/partner relationship with Franklin, Bonnie (born 6 January 1944). Notes: Co-stars on "One Day at a Time"
- sibling relationship with Phillips, Chynna (born 12 February 1968). Notes: Half-sister
- Work : New Career 1973 (Film debut, age 13)
- Financial : Buy/Sell Property 1978 (Moved and bought estate, bachelorette pad)
- Misc. : Retain professional help 1980 (Her and dad entered rehab for drugs)
- Family : Change in family responsibilities 1987 (Son Shane born)
- Work : Retired 1992 (Quit the tour)
- Misc. : Retain professional help 1992 at 12:00 midnight in Blairstown, NJ (Entered rehab)
- Family : Change residence 1994 (Moved back to L.A.)
- Work : Begin Major Project 1999 (Disney TV series "So Weird")
- Relationship : Divorce dates 16 February 2000 at 12:00 noon in Los Angeles, CA (Filed for divorce from Michael)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 2009 (Memoir)
Linda Clark quotes her, stating B.C. c. 1993 (In Dec/2001, she quotes her for 9:42 PM.)
- Diagnoses : Psychological : Abuse Alcohol (From age 14)
- Diagnoses : Psychological : Abuse Drugs (From age 12)
- Family : Childhood : Advantaged (Rich and spoiled; the Golden Ghetto)
- Family : Childhood : Family noted (Dad)
- Lifestyle : Financial : Extreme ups and downs (Drugs, financially inept)
- Lifestyle : Social Life : Groups (Volunteer in recovery groups)
- Personal : Religion/Spirituality : 12 step group (AA)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Actor/ Actress
- Vocation : Entertainment : Child performer (Debut at 13)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Comedy
- Vocation : Entertainment : TV series/ Soap star (One Day at a Time)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Group/ Duo (Reconstructed Mamas and Papas briefly)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Vocalist/ Pop, Rock, etc.
- Vocation : Writers : Autobiographer
- Notable : Book Collection : Profiles Of Women