|born on||18 October 1947 at 00:30 (= 12:30 AM )|
|Place||New York, New York, 40n43, 74w0|
|Timezone||EST h5w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||24°00' 11°49 Asc. 16°11'|
American singer-songwriter, Nyro began her song-writing career early. At age 17, she had already written, "And When I Die," made popular by Peter, Paul and Mary and later by Blood, Sweat and Tears.
She began appearing in public during 1965 in San Francisco and released her first album in 1966, "More Than a New Discovery." She met David Geffen who became her manager in 1967 and they reportedly had an intimate relationship as well as a business partnership. In the late 60s she began appearing at music festivals throughout the U.S. and often performed to standing room only audiences. During 1970, she had two sold-out performances at Carnegie Hall in New York. She reappeared there in 1976, having released several hit albums in the intervening years. Her style had matured considerably. In 1978, she became pregnant and took the next six years off to raise her son. In 1984, she returned to recording, releasing a major album of 14 original new songs, "Mother's Spiritual." And by 1988, she returned to touring across the US, releasing additional albums at long intervals, becoming more sociopolitical in her music. Her feminist concerns are apparent in much of her work as well.
Nyro died on April 8, 1997 of ovarian cancer at her home in Danbury, CT with a huge legacy of powerfully introspective music that combined elements of folk, soul, gospel and pop music. In addition to her music, she left a grown son and her female companion.
- Work : Begin Major Project 1965 (began singing in public)
- Work : Gain social status 1970 (appeared at Carnegie Hall)
- Family : Change in family responsibilities 1978 (only child born)
Nyro's biographer Michele Kort emailed Sy Scholfield with the following, "Yes, she was born Oct. 18, 1947, but unfortunately I don't know her exact time of birth. Her dad told me she was born after midnight of the 17th, while he was playing with a band."
- Traits : Body : Voice/Speech (unusual singing voice)
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Cancer (ovarian cancer)
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3
- Lifestyle : Work : Travel for work (toured across US)
- Lifestyle : Home : Neighborhood (born to half Jewish/half Italian working class family)
- Passions : Sexuality : Bi-Sexual
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Song writer
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Vocalist/ Pop, Rock, etc.
- Notable : Extraordinary Talents : For Music (began career in teens)