Miller, Harry M.
|Birthname||Harry Maurice Miller|
|born on||6 January 1934 at 06:00 (= 06:00 AM )|
|Place||Auckland, New Zealand, 36s52, 174e46|
|Timezone||NZT h12e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||14°44' 08°02 Asc. 24°26'|
New Zealand show business entrepreneur, celebrity agent and impresario, Harry M. Miller was born in 1934 to English immigrants. From a background of poverty, he rose to the position of one of the most powerful impresarios in Australia and New Zealand and innovator in computerized ticketing as well as the largest cattle breeder in Australia.
His father, a traveling haberdashery salesman of German-Jewish origins, slipped on a plum stone in 1935 and never walked again. He died after six years in an Auckland hospital. The infant boy grew up in a small humble rented house with his mother, a hypochondriac of Russian-Polish Jewish ancestry who received the widow's pension and rented out two rooms to boarders. It was a Jewish Orthodox home, and Miller learnt Hebrew. At nine, his mother was diagnosed with epilepsy, so he was removed to a Jewish welfare institution in Wellington. In 1947 he returned to his mother's home in Auckland. He attended good secondary schools.
From 1949 he worked as a junior hand on a dairy farm, a lab assistant at a freezing works, a bathroom steward on an Auckland-Sydney passenger ship, a Captains 'tiger' or personal servant on a Pacific liner, 1951, a traveling knitwear merchandiser, 1952-56 and cooking pan demonstrator, 1958.
After successfully using female dancers to model garments in his promotions, he established himself as a part-time jazz & rock'n'roll show business promoter and entrepreneur in the late 1950s. In 1963 he moved to Australia where he established his Pan-Pacific productions company, promoting a large number of concert and theatre tours of Australia and New Zealand throughout the 1960s. These included tours by such artists as Louis Armstrong, Judy Garland, Arthur Rubinstein, the Rolling Stones and the Beach Boys. Miller consolidated his reputation by promoting the hugely successful stage musicals "Hair" 1969-72, "Jesus Christ Superstar," 1972-76 and "Rocky Horror Show," 1974-76.
From 1971-89 he was the largest grazier and breeder of Simmental cattle in Australasia. He was appointed a director of the Australian airline, Quantas, in the late 1970s and organizer of the Queen's Silver Jubilee celebrations in Australia in 1977. Miller established the firm Computicket in Sydney in 1977, processing the first computerized ticket on 8/28/1977 at 9:17 AM. The company collapsed on 2/12/1997, 1:15 PM and went into receivership after only six months in operation.
Under the intense glare of the media, Miller himself collapsed in a stress attack in March 1980 and underwent a temporal artery biopsy, but no physical illness was found. In May 1982, he was convicted on five charges of fraudulent misappropriation in connection with Computicket, and spent ten months in NSW's notorious Long Bay and Cessnock jails. He was released from Cessnock (32s50, 151e21) on 3/01/1983, 7 AM. Miller's autobiography, "My Story," was published later that year, revealing his trauma as a white collar criminal in one of Australia's worst jails.
Since his release, Miller has re-created the largest client management business in Australia. Known for his flair and dedication to his patrons, he has also been criticized for capitalizing on the sensational and ghoulish, particularly after demanding high prices as the media agent for various disaster survivors (including Stuart Diver who survived burial in freezing rubble after a landslide in July 1997) and for the Sydney funeral for rock singer Michael Hutchence for which Miller handled the publicity in late 1997.
Miller enjoys polo and skiing and has been married several times (1957-62, 1963-67, 1972-?) and has three daughters (b. 1965, 1976 and 1977) and two sons
(b. 1958 and 1964).
- business associate/partner relationship with Hines, Marcia (born 20 July 1953). Notes: Discovered her talents and acted as her legal guardian
- parent->child relationship with Miller, Simon (born 16 August 1958)
- Family trauma 1935 (Dad slipped, fell, paralyzed from then on)
- Family : Change residence 1947 (Moved back in with his mom)
- Work : New Job 1949 (Started working in multiple maintenance position jobs)
- Work : New Job 1951 (Personal servant, cruise line)
- Work : New Job 1952 (Knitwear merchandiser, four years)
- Relationship : Marriage 1957 (First marriage, five years)
- Family : Change in family responsibilities 1958 (Son born)
- Work : New Job 1958 (Cookwear demonstrator)
- Relationship : Marriage 1963 (Second marriage, four years)
- Work : Start Business 1963 (Pan-Pacific productions company)
- Family : Change in family responsibilities 1964 (Son born)
- Family : Change in family responsibilities 1965 (Daughter born)
- Work : New Job 1969 (Promoted successful stage productions, seven years)
- Relationship : Marriage 1972 (Third marriage, unknown divorce date)
- Family : Change in family responsibilities 1976 (Daughter born)
- Family : Change in family responsibilities 1977 (Daughter born)
- Work : New Job 1977 (Organizer of Queen's Silver jubilee)
- Work : Start Business 28 August 1977 at 09:17 AM in Sydney (Started Computicket)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Social : Institutionalized - prison, hospital May 1982 (10 months for fraud)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1983 (Autobiography released)
- Social : Deinstitutionalized - prison, hospital 1 March 1983 at 07:00 AM (Released from prison)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1997 (P.R. work on Hutchence death/funeral)
- Work : Fired/Laid off/Quit 12 February 1997 at 1:12 PM in Sydney (Computicket collapses)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Sy Scholfield quotes : "Harry M. Miller: My Story as Told to Denis O'Brien" by Miller & O'Brien (Sydney: MacMillan, 1983), p. 1; " ... at 6 AM, Saturday 6 January 1934 at Ponsonby Road nursing home, Auckland, a son (Harry Maurice) to Sarah and James. Baby well, mother exhausted."
- Traits : Personality : Opportunist
- Traits : Personality : Personality robust
- Diagnoses : Psychological : Nervous Breakdown (Stress attack)
- Family : Childhood : Disadvantaged (Raised five yrs. in welfare institutution)
- Family : Childhood : Family traumatic event (Age one when dad became paralyzed)
- Family : Childhood : Only child
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Three)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Five, three daughters and two sons)
- Lifestyle : Financial : Extreme ups and downs (Rags-riches-wins-losses)
- Lifestyle : Social Life : Sports (Polo, skiing)
- Passions : Criminal Perpetrator : Prison sentence (10 months)
- Passions : Criminal Perpetrator : Thief/ Financial crime (Fraud)
- Vocation : Business : Business owner (Computicket)
- Vocation : Business : Entrepreneur
- Vocation : Business : Middle Management (Director of airline)
- Vocation : Business/Marketing : Public relations
- Vocation : Business/Marketing : Sales (While young)
- Vocation : Entertain/Business : Manager/ Agent (Agent, impresario, promoter)
- Vocation : Writers : Autobiographer
- Vocation : Misc. : Animal Breeder/Trainer (Large cattle breeder)