|Birthname||Merkouri, Maria Amalia|
|born on||31 October 1920 at 08:00 (= 08:00 AM )|
|Place||Athens, Greece, 37n58, 23e43|
|Timezone||EET h2e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||07°31' 26°38 Asc. 20°45'|
Greek actress and noted family, the daughter of the Minister of the Interior. She was a triumph onstage in Athens and Paris, an international star. Beautiful and flamboyant, everything she did was to the max.
At 17, she defied her parents and left home to marry a wealthy, much older Greek Merchant. She also enrolled at the National Theatre of Greece. The former role ended and the latter grew stronger by the year. She became famed for the film "Never on Sunday," 1960. She was separated from her husband by then (and divorced in 1962) and living with her co-star, Jules Dassin. They married in 1966 for the rest of her life.
An ardent politician, she served as a Member of Parliament 1977-89; Culture Minister 1981-89; and helped found the Panhellenic Socialist Movement.
A heavy smoker, Mercouri continued to smoke after she was diagnosed with cancer in 1989. She had a tumor removed from her lung in a New York hospital but died there, 3/06/1994.
- associate relationship with Hatzidakis, Manos (born 23 October 1925)
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1960 (Film, "Never on Sunday")
- Relationship : Divorce dates 1962 (First husband)
- Relationship : Marriage 1966 (Second marriage, actor Jules Dassin)
- Work : New Career 1977 (Elected Member of Parliament)
- Work : New Job 1981 (Minister of Culture)
- Health : Medical diagnosis 1989 (Cancer)
Lescaut quotes a biography; unconfirmed. Date confirmed by Elini Kava-Kavgakou, from Merkouri to a close mutual friend; born October 10, 1918, Julian calendar.
(Mark Penfield gives 8 AM, October 18, 1925 as "personal," quoting Weiss Band I.)
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Cancer (Lung, fatal)
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Surgery (To remove lung tumor)
- Diagnoses : Psychological : Abuse - other addictions (Smoking, extreme)
- Family : Childhood : Family noted (Father Minister of Interior)
- Family : Relationship : Marriage more than 15 Yrs (Second marriage 28 years)
- Family : Relationship : Mate - Age difference more than 15 yrs (Much older Greek Merchant)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Divorces (One)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Two)
- Lifestyle : Financial : Gain - Money Through Marriage (Wealthy Greek merchant)
- Personal : Death : Illness/ Disease (Lung cancer)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Actor/ Actress
- Vocation : Entertainment : Live Stage (Legitimate theater)
- Vocation : Politics : Government employee (Culture Minister)
- Vocation : Politics : Public office (Member of Parliament)
- Notable : Famous : Founder/ originator (Helped found Panhellenic Socialist Movement)