|Birthname||Antonio Joseph "Tony" Mendez|
|born on||15 November 1940 at 14:00 (= 2:00 PM )|
|Place||Eureka, Nevada, 39n31, 115w58|
|Timezone||MST h7w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||23°22' 02°02 Asc. 03°16'|
American CIA technical operations officer, now retired, who specialized in support of clandestine and covert CIA operations.
Mendez and his first wife, Karen, had three children, including a son Ian who died in 2010, and sculptor Antonio Tobias Mendez. Karen Mendez died of cancer in 1986.
In the mid-1980s, Mendez worked with Jonna Goeser, also a CIA officer, on rebuilding the US security organization in the Soviet Union and later Russia. They married following Mendez's retirement in 1990, and had a son together. Since retiring from the CIA in 1990, Mendez and his wife Jonna, herself a 27-year veteran of the CIA, have served on the Board of Directors for the International Spy Museum. He works full-time as an artist.
He has written three memoirs about his CIA experiences:
- 2000, Master of Disguise: My Secret Life in the CIA, memoir of his CIA experiences
- 2003, with Jonna Mendez and Bruce B. Henderson, Spy Dust: Two Masters of Disguise Reveal the Tools and Operations that Helped Win the Cold War
- 2012, with Matt Baglio, Argo: How the CIA and Hollywood Pulled Off the Most Audacious Rescue in History (2012), more lengthy account of the Canadian Caper.
Sy Scholfield quotes from BC in hand
- Vocation : Politics : Government employee (CIA officer)
- Vocation : Writers : Textbook/ Non-fiction