|born on||26 September 1921 at 16:07 (= 4:07 PM )|
|Place||Denver CO, USA, 39n44, 104w59|
|Timezone||MST h7w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||03°18' 00°42 Asc. 22°42'|
American newspaper columnist, the historical columnist for the Denver Rocky Mountain News and the founder of Denver Women’s Press. Melrose was the first and only child born to her mother Allene Milton Melrose, then 42 years old. Her dad, who had previously been widowed, had three other children in their 20s with his first wife. Because her mother feared a baby mix-up with a hospital birth, she delivered Frances at home. Although her mother wanted a boy, she welcomed and nurtured Frances, telling her stories of her own youth and taking her everywhere and being a great role model of independence and multiple interests. Melrose's "Rocky Mountain Memories" columns are largely based on her own and her mother's stories of growing up. She began working for the Rocky Mountain News newspaper in 1943, just out of college. She retired in 2001.
Even at age 84, Melrose was described as "still lovely, still a strong believer in hats and dresses, still thinking up news stories." In her day, when news writers were mostly men, she was a rarity, known for her hard-work and chutzpah! She loved Denver and donated $25,000 to the city for a 7,000 square foot garden in honor of her mother as well as a fund for its upkeep.
- Work : New Job 1943 (With Rocky Mountain News)
- Work : Retired 2001 (From Rocky Mountain News)
Sy Scholfield quotes her in "Story of a Lifetime: Frances Melrose Rewrote the Script for Women in the Newsroom" by Thaddeus Herrick, 6 June 1993, Rocky Mountain
News, p. 8M); "Today is my birthday ... Sept. 26... I was born, at 7 minutes
after four [PM]"
- Traits : Personality : Active
- Lifestyle : Financial : Philanthropist (Donated money to Denver for a garden)
- Lifestyle : Home : Home centered
- Lifestyle : Work : Same Job more than 10 yrs (Nearly 60 years)
- Vocation : Writers : Columnist/ journalist
- Personal : Birth : Unusual circumstances (At home to a 42-year-old mother)
- Family : Childhood : Family close (Close to her mother)
- Family : Childhood : Memories Good
- Family : Childhood : Only child (Had older step-siblings from father's first marriage)