|Birthname||Thomas Kenneth Mattingly|
|born on||17 March 1936 at 18:22 (= 6:22 PM )|
|Place||Chicago, Illinois, 41n51, 87w39|
|Timezone||CST h6w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||27°15' 17°13 Asc. 02°33'|
American astronaut, one of 19 selected by NASA in April 1966. A veteran of three space flights, Mattingly served as command module pilot on Apollo 16, which orbited the moon in 1972, and commanded two Space Shuttle missions during the 1980s. He was inducted into the Astronaut Hall of Fame on 10/04/1997.
Born in Chicago, Mattingly grew up in Florida and graduated from Miami Edison High School in Miami. He earned his Bachelor of Science Degree in Aeronautical Engineering at Auburn University in 1958 after which he began his Naval career. He received his wings in 1960 and served aboard two aircraft carriers from 1960-1965.
Originally scheduled to pilot Apollo 13, Mattingly had to be removed from flight status 72 hours before launch due to exposure to German measles. During his career with NASA, he served as the astronaut representative in development and testing of the Apollo spacesuit and backpack. He resigned in 1985, concurrently retiring from the Navy as a Captain, and took a position at Grumman’s Space Station. He later joined Lockheed Martin.
Mattingly married and has one grown son.
- associate relationship with Lovell, James (born 25 March 1928)
- associate relationship with Swigert, Jack (born 30 August 1931)
- Social : End a program of study 1958 (BS degree in aeronautical engineering)
- Social : End a program of study 1960 (Received his pilots license)
- Work : Begin Major Project 1960 (Aboard two aircraft carriers, five years)
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1972 (Command module pilot of the Apollo 16)
- Work : Retired 1985 (Retired as a Captain)
Gauquelin Book of American Charts (legal use of CST for the registry is assumed)
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3 (One son)
- Vocation : Business : Top executive (Lockheed Martin)
- Vocation : Education : Researcher (Aeronautical development and testing)
- Vocation : Engineer : Aerospace
- Vocation : Military : Military career (Captain)
- Vocation : Travel : Astronaut (Commanded two missions)
- Vocation : Travel : Pilot/ military (Aircraft carriers)
- Notable : Awards : Hall of Fame (Astronaut Hall of Fame)
- Notable : Famous : Historic figure (Astronaut)