Maris, Simon Willem
|born on||21 May 1873 at 21:00 (= 9:00 PM )|
|Place||Den Haag, Netherlands, 52n05, 4e19|
|Timezone||LMT m4e19 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||00°48' 02°40 Asc. 13°50'|
Dutch painter of portraits, art dealer and collector, member of a noted painters family.
He lived and worked in The Hague , Weesp, Antwerp (1895-97, Académie des Beaux Arts), Amsterdam, Brussel (1901), and Paris (1902).
Simon Willem was the son and student of the impressionistic landscape painter Willem Maris. He was a nephew of Matthijs and Willem Maris. He painted woman's portraits, often with a child. But his major source of income was the trade of art and antique in his house on the Keizersgracht 498 in Amsterdam, which became a cultural centre.
As an art and antique dealer and collector he knew and corresponded with many artists. He supported poor painters by buying their art. Lizzy Ansingh was a house friend. Since 1899 he was a friend of Piet Mondriaan. He was a member of several art circles.
In 1908 he married the painter Cornelia (Noot) den Breejen (1887-1985), also a friend of Piet Mondriaan. They got a daughter Mies (1909-1997) and son Thijs (1910-1955).
He died 22 January 1935 in Amsterdam.
- friend relationship with Ansingh, Lizzy (born 13 March 1875)
- friend relationship with Mondrian, Piet (born 7 March 1872). Notes: since 1899
- child->parent relationship with Maris, Willem (born 18 February 1844). Notes: student of father
- (has as) student relationship with Jacobson, Mirjam (born 14 July 1887)
Schepel quotes Municipal Archive for 21-5-1873 21h00 LMT Den Haag in Sterrentijd No 15
- Lifestyle : Social Life : Collector (art and antique)
- Vocation : Art : Fine art artist (portraits of women)
- Vocation : Art : Other Art (art and antique dealer)