|born on||30 April 1926 at 05:45 (= 05:45 AM )|
|Place||Des Moines, Iowa, 41n36, 93w37|
|Timezone||CST h6w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||09°22' 09°44 Asc. 18°59'|
American actress, a multifaceted talent of TV, film, and stage, best known for her role as Phyllis Lindstrom on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," 1970 and her spin-off sitcom, "Phyllis," 1975. In 1971 she won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her part in "The Last Picture Show," also receiving four Emmy's.
Born in Des Moines, Iowa, she felt isolated out in the country with no other kids around so she took up piano, which she still plays, and other arts. Jazz and dancing are her favorites. She started acting as a teenager in Iowa, both on stage in high school and on radio. She went on to Northwestern University where her acting classmates included Paul Lynde, Jean Hagen and Charlotte Rae.
In 1946 she was a Miss America finalist and was accepted by The Actors Studio in New York in 1948.
Broadway, movies and a role as the mom in TV's "Lassie" followed. Among her movie credits are "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "Daisy Miller," Young Frankenstein" and "High Anxiety," as well as many TV-movie starring roles. In the TV show "Facts" she played Beverly Ann, an eccentric aunt who joins the family - not by their choice. In 1989 she was on the road playing the lead role in "Grandma Moses" where she had to age from 45 to 100. Leachman considers herself a character actress. When asked about all the scripts she must review, her mischievous side comes out. "I don't read scripts anyway," she says " because I'm left-handed. You see, it's hard for left-handed people to turn pages, so we just flip to the back and try a sample page."
Leachman married in 1950 and had five children with producer George Englund; they divorced in 1979. Her youngest son, Morgan Englund, and oldest son, Adam Englund are both actors while George Jr. is a composer. Her only daughter, Dinah Englund, lived in Italy for a while and speaks Italian like a native. Son Bryan Englund died in 1986.
She isn't religious in the traditional sense of the word. "I'm an appreciator and a gratefuller. I want that on my tombstone: "She Was Grateful!"
- associate relationship with Whelchel, Lisa (born 29 May 1963). Notes: co-stars on "The Facts of Life"
- business associate/partner relationship with Asner, Ed (born 15 November 1929). Notes: Co-stars on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"
- business associate/partner relationship with Harper, Valerie (born 22 August 1939). Notes: Co-stars on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"
- business associate/partner relationship with Knight, Ted (born 7 December 1923). Notes: Co-stars on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"
- business associate/partner relationship with MacLeod, Gavin (born 28 February 1931). Notes: Co-stars on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"
- business associate/partner relationship with Moore, Mary Tyler (born 29 December 1936). Notes: Co-stars on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"
- business associate/partner relationship with White, Betty (born 17 January 1922). Notes: Co-stars on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"
Linda Clark quotes her 1982, "5:00 to 7:00 AM, closer to 5:00."
- Family : Childhood : Family traumatic event (Son died 1986)
- Family : Relationship : Marriage more than 15 Yrs (29 years then divorced)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Five)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Actor/ Actress
- Notable : Awards : Emmy (Four)
- Notable : Awards : Oscar (1971)
- Notable : Book Collection : Occult/ Misc. Collection