|Birthname||Carol Joan Klein|
|born on||9 February 1942 at 23:42 (= 11:42 PM )|
|Place||Brooklyn (Kings County), New York, 40n38, 73w56|
|Timezone||EWT h4w (is war time)|
|Astrology data||20°47' 11°04 Asc. 24°40'|
American singer and songwriter, a recording artist of soft-rock, jazz-based acoustic sound with an emphasis on lyrics.
While attending Queen's College in New York, she began writing songs professionally and also started a business and personal relationship with future husband Gerry Goffin. In 1960, her song "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?" broke the charts.
In 1967 her song with Goffin, "Go Away Little Girl" sung by Steve Lawrence hit No.1. Moving to L.A. in 1968 she formed a band that did not stay together long due to her performance nerves. She recorded her album "Tapestry" in 1970 that became the No.1 album in 1971.
In March 1972, she performed with James Taylor and Barbra Streisand at her first benefit concert. King won Best Pop Vocal Performance, Record of the Year, Album of the Year and Song of the Year at the Grammy's 3/09/1972, with her "Tapestry" album reaching ten million copies sold.
In 1977 King signed with Capitol Records where she formed her Avatar label until moving to Atlantic Records in 1982. Both King and Goffin were indicted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame 3/07/1987 and on 1/17/1990 they were both indicted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
King continued to make rare public appearances, mainly in the form of fundraisers, and kept her songwriting career her main strength. Her appearance at the Madison Square Gardens benefit raised over a million for charity on 10/14/1999 where she re-united with old singing and writing partners, as well as some noted performers singing her own hits.
She suffered from extreme stage fright and rarely gave live performances. A homebody living in Malibu, driving her VW and making cookies, she had two daughters with Goffin, her first husband. Their split was amiable and she married three more times in the next decade. She had two kids with second husband Charles Larkey and after their separation, two episodic marriages. The kids have remained a constant in her life. Sherry has launched a series of kid's CDs and Louise became a singer-songwriter. Molly is an artist in New York and Levi, a grad student (2001).
Because of her need for privacy and the unconquered shyness of publicity, after leaving Hawaii, King spends much of her time on her Robinson Bar Ranch outside of Stanley, Idaho when not working in Los Angeles or New York.
- associate relationship with Mitchell, Joni (born 7 November 1943). Notes: collaborators
- associate relationship with Taylor, James (born 12 March 1948). Notes: collaborators
- friend relationship with Simon, Paul (born 13 October 1941)
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1960 (First song hits the charts)
- Work : Gain social status 1967 (Song "Go Away Little Girl" hits No.1)
- Work : Gain social status 1972 (Album "Tapistry" sells 10 million copies)
- Work : Prize 7 March 1987 (Her and Goffin indicted into Songwriters Hall of Fame)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Work : Prize 17 January 1990 (Her and Goffin indicted into Rn'R Hall of Fame)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 14 October 1999 (Guest appearance Madison Square Gardens fund raiser)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Ruth Elliot quotes her, B.C.
- Traits : Personality : Private (Extremely)
- Traits : Personality : Shy
- Diagnoses : Psychological : Phobias (Stage fright)
- Family : Relationship : Marriage less than 3 Yrs (Two short marriages)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Four)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Four kids)
- Lifestyle : Work : Work in team/ Tandem (songwriting groups)
- Lifestyle : Financial : Gain - Financial success in field
- Lifestyle : Financial : Philanthropist (Donated and appeared in numerous fund raisers)
- Lifestyle : Home : Home centered (Home in L.A. and Stanley, ID)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Actor/ Actress (occasional)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Live Stage (music performances)
- Vocation : Entertainment : TV host/ Personality (Guest appearances on TV)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Composer/ Arranger
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Group/ Duo (songwriting duo Goffin-King)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Instrumentalist (piano)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Song writer
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Vocalist/ Pop, Rock, etc.
- Vocation : Writers : Autobiographer
- Notable : Awards : Grammy (Four)
- Notable : Awards : Hall of Fame (Songwriters and Rock N Roll)
- Notable : Famous : Top 5% of Profession (songwriting)
- Notable : Book Collection : Profiles Of Women