Katharina von Brandenburg
|born on||28 May 1602 Jul.Cal. (7 June 1602 greg.) at 12:00 (= 12:00 noon )|
|Place||Königsberg in Bayern, Germany, 50n06, 10e34|
|Timezone||LMT m10e34 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||16°14' 15°55 Asc. 19°39'|
German royalty, and the ruler of Transylvania between 1629 and 1630.
She was the daughter of John Sigismund, Elector of Brandenburg and Anne of Prussia. On March 2, 1626 she married Gabriel Bethlen, prince of Transylvania, who made her his successor in June 1626. When the prince died on November 25, 1629, she tried in vain for a year to hold on to the throne, supporting herself on her favorite Istvan Csaky. Her policy was to bring Transylvania back under the influence of Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand II, but she was forced to abandon power on September 21, 1630. The Sublime Porte, first chose her brother-in-law István Bethlen as successor, but finally she was succeeded by George I Rákóczi. The new prince George I Rákóczi was elected on December 1, 1630.
Catherine of Hohenzollern moved back to Germany where she converted to Catholicism in 1633 and married in 1638 Francis Charles of Saxe-Lauenburg. She died on August 27, 1649.
- child->parent relationship with Johann Sigismund von Brandenburg (born 8 November 1572 Jul.Cal. (18 Nov 1572 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Anna Sophia von Brandenburg (born 17 March 1598 Jul.Cal. (27 Mar 1598 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Georg Wilhelm von Brandenburg (born 3 November 1595 Jul.Cal. (13 Nov 1595 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Joachim Sigismund von Brandenburg (born 25 July 1603 Jul.Cal. (4 Aug 1603 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Maria Eleonora von Brandenburg (born 11 November 1599 Jul.Cal. (21 Nov 1599 greg.))
Sy Scholfield quotes the chronicle of events in "Allgemeine preussische staats-geschichte, samt aller dazu gehörigen königreichs, churfürstenthums, herzogthümer, fürstenthümer, graf- und herrschaften, aus bewährten schriftstellern und urkunden bis auf gegenwärtige regierung," Volumes 3-4, by Karl Friedrich Pauli (C. P. Francken, 1762), p. 591: "Catharina, geboren 1602 den 28ten May um die Mittagszeit zu Königsberg in Preussen." [Translation: Catharina, born in 1602 on the 28th of May at noon in Konigsberg in Prussia.]
- Notable : Famous : Royal family