Joseph II, Holy Roman Emperor
|Birthname||Joseph Benedikt August Johann Anton Michael Adam|
|born on||13 March 1741 at 02:30 (= 02:30 AM )|
|Place||Vienna, Austria, 48n13, 16e20|
|Timezone||LMT m16e20 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||22°34' 23°17 Asc. 29°13'|
Holy Roman Emperor from 1765 to 1790 and ruler of the Habsburg lands from 1780 to 1790. He was the eldest son of Empress Maria Theresa and her husband, Francis I, and was the brother of Marie Antoinette. He was thus the first ruler in the Austrian dominions of the House of Lorraine, styled Habsburg-Lorraine (von Habsburg-Lothringen in German). Joseph was a proponent of enlightened absolutism; however, his commitment to modernizing reforms subsequently engendered significant opposition, which eventually culminated in an ultimate failure to fully implement his programmes. He has been ranked, with Catherine II of Russia and Frederick II of Prussia, as one of the three great Enlightenment monarchs. His policies are now known as Josephinism. He died with no sons and was succeeded by his younger brother, Leopold.
He died 20 February 1790.
- parent->child relationship with Christina, Archduchess of Austria (born 22 November 1763)
- parent->child relationship with Maria Theresa, Archduchess of Austria (born 20 March 1762)
- child->parent relationship with Maria Therese, Holy Roman Empress (born 13 May 1717)
- spouse relationship with Isabella, Princess of Parma (born 31 December 1741). Notes: 1760-1763
- sibling relationship with Ferdinand, Duke of Breisgau (born 1 June 1754)
- sibling relationship with Johanna Gabriele, Archduchess of Austria (born 4 February 1750)
- sibling relationship with Karl Joseph, Archduke of Austria (1745) (born 1 February 1745)
- sibling relationship with Leopold II, Holy Roman Emperor (born 5 May 1747)
- sibling relationship with Maria Amalia, Archduchess of Austria (1746) (born 26 February 1746)
- sibling relationship with Maria Anna, Archduchess of Austria (born 6 October 1738)
- sibling relationship with Maria Carolina, Queen of Naples and Sicily (born 13 August 1752)
- sibling relationship with Maria Christina, Duchess of Teschen (born 13 May 1742)
- sibling relationship with Maria Elisabeth, Archduchess of Austria (1737) (born 5 February 1737)
- sibling relationship with Maria Elisabeth, Archduchess of Austria (1743) (born 13 August 1743)
- sibling relationship with Maria Josepha, Archduchess of Austria (born 19 March 1751)
- sibling relationship with Maria Karolina, Archduchess of Austria (1740) (born 12 January 1740)
- sibling relationship with Maria Karolina, Archduchess of Austria (1748) (born 17 September 1748)
- sibling relationship with Marie Antoinette, Queen Consort (born 2 November 1755)
- sibling relationship with Maximilian Franz, Archduke of Austria (born 8 December 1756)
On 29/4/14 Sy Scholfield quotes "Joseph II: Volume 1, In the Shadow of Maria Theresa, 1741-1780" by Derek Beales (Cambridge University Press, 2008), p. 26: "Amid all these difficulties the long-awaited prince, the future Joseph II, was born at two o'clock in the morning of Monday, 13 March 1741, in the Hofburg in Vienna." Same data in "Kaiserin Maria Theresia, die Stammutter des Hauses Habsburg-Lothringen in ihren Leben und Wirken: Gedenkbuch zur Enthüllung ihres Monumentes und zum 40-jährigen Regierungsjubiläum Seiner Majestät Kaiser Franz Josef I." (A.W. Künast, 1888), p. 68.
On 8/10/14 Scholfield adjusted the time to 2:30 a.m., quoting "between two and three o'clock in the morning" from the Wiener Diarium (Vienna Diary) newspaper on the day of his birth: "Heute in der fruhe zwischen 2 und 3 Uhr;" reprinted in "Kaiser Joseph II.: eine Biographie" by Karl Gutkas (Zsolnay, 1989), p. 15, and on Wikipedia: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_II.#Herkunft
Original source notes; same data (2am) rated C (original source not known): Taeger quotes Lescaut, DAV quotes Moufang.
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Habsburg-Lorraine)