|Birthname||Marilyn Fay Jones|
|born on||17 February 1940 at 15:00 (= 3:00 PM )|
|Place||Newcastle, Australia, 32s56, 151e46|
|Timezone||AEST h10e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||27°23' 05°14 Asc. 26°48'|
Australian ballet luminary and Artistic Director of A.I.C.D. (Australian Institute of Classical Dance.
Marilyn Jones established an enviable international reputation early in her distinguished career.
She attained the rank of Ballerina with the Borovansky Ballet and the Grands Ballets du Marquis de Cuevas and was Prima Ballerina of The Australian Ballet from 1962-1971. She continued dancing with The Australian Ballet until she was appointed Artistic Director, a position she held from 1979 to 1982, and she has since made regular guest appearances with them, The Sydney Dance Company and the Queensland Ballet. In 1972 she was named an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (O.B.E.) honoring her services to ballet.
In 1990 she was awarded an Australian Creative Artists Fellowship in recognition of her outstanding contribution to dance in Australia. In 1992 she was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Music by the University of Newcastle, and in 1993 received a prestigious Honor celebrating the 20th year of the Sydney Opera House. Marilyn Jones established the Australian Institute of Classical Dance (AICD) in 1991, an organization designed to benefit all Australian teachers and students of ballet.
She married Garth Welch in 1963; divorced 1974. Their two sons Stanton and Damien are ballet dancers.
Stanton is now a choreographer of international renown, while Damien is performing with Netherlands Dance Theatre. Her biography, "Marilyn Jones" by Patricia Laughlin was published in 1978. Miss Jones is now Lecturer in Classical Ballet at West Australian Academy of Performing Arts, Edith Cowan University in Perth.
- Work : Gain social status 1962 (Prima ballerina with the Australian Ballet, nine years)
- Relationship : Marriage 1963 (Garth Welch)
- Work : Prize 1972 (Officer of the Order of the British Empire)
- Relationship : Divorce dates 1974 (End of eleven year marriage to Garth)
- Social : Great Publicity 1978 (Biography released about her)
- Work : New Job 1979 (Artistic Director, three years)
- Work : Prize 1990 (Australian Creative Arts fellowship)
- Work : Prize 1993 (Honoured as 20 years with the Sydney Opera House)
Sy Scholfield, speculative time based on a statement in her biography by Patricia Laughlin, "Marilyn Jones: "A Brilliance of Her Own," Melbourne: Quartet, 1978, p. 11: "Marilyn was born at home on a Saturday afternoon--'between races' her mother said, having asked her own father, who was going to the races that day, to place some bets for her." According to the Sydney Morning Herald (17 February 1940, p. 21), Newcastle had 8 races that day between 1:30 & 4:35 pm, with races 4 & 5 respectively at 2:45 & 3:10 pm. DOB confirmed in "Who's Who in Australia 2002."
- Family : Relationship : Number of Divorces (One)
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3 (Two sons)
- Family : Parenting : Kids - Noted (Both sons noted in field of dance)
- Vocation : Education : Public speaker (University lecturer)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Dancer/ Teacher (Prima Ballerina)
- Vocation : Entertain/Business : Director (Artistic Director)
- Notable : Awards : Vocational award (Numerous)
- Notable : Famous : Founder/ originator (Established AICD)
- Notable : Famous : Top 5% of Profession