Johann Friedrich I, Elector of Saxony
|born on||30 June 1503 Jul.Cal. (10 July 1503 greg.) at 18:30 (= 6:30 PM )|
|Place||Torgau, Germany, 51n34, 13e0|
|Timezone||LMT m13e0 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||16°56' 10°16 Asc. 22°38'|
German nobility. Called John the Magnanimous, he was Elector of Saxony and Head of the Protestant Confederation of Germany (the Schmalkaldic League), and "Champion of the Reformation".
John Frederick was the eldest son of Elector John by his first wife, Sophie of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. His mother died fourteen days after his birth, on 12 July 1503.
He received his education from George Spalatin, Martin Luther's friend and advisor, and thereby cultivated a personal relationship with Luther. In 1532, John Frederick succeeded his father as elector. In the beginning he reigned with his half-brother, John Ernest, but in 1542 became sole ruler. He consolidated the Lutheran State Church and introduced the Reformation in the midst of growing discord.
The Battle of Mühlberg, 24 April 1547, went against him and dispersed his army. He received a slashing wound to the left side of his face, leaving him with a disfiguring scar from his lower eye socket down his cheek. He was taken prisoner by Emperor Charles V who condemned him to death as a convicted rebel. Imprisoned for life, he was released on 1 September 1552.
In Torgau on 9 February 1527 John Frederick had married Sibylle of Cleves. They had four sons. Johann Friedrich I died on 3 March 1554 in Weimar.
- friend relationship with Luther, Martin (born 10 November 1483 Jul.Cal. (19 Nov 1483 greg.))
- opponent/rival/enemy relationship with Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor (born 24 February 1500 Jul.Cal. (5 Mar 1500 greg.))
- opponent/rival/enemy relationship with Günther XL, Count of Schwarzburg (born 31 October 1499 Jul.Cal. (9 Nov 1499 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Johann Friedrich II, Duke of Saxony (born 8 January 1529 Jul.Cal. (18 Jan 1529 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Johann Ernst, Duke of Saxe-Coburg (born 10 May 1521 Jul.Cal. (20 May 1521 greg.)). Notes: Half-siblings
- sibling relationship with Maria of Saxony, Duchess of Pomerania (born 5 December 1515 Jul.Cal. (15 Dec 1515 greg.)). Notes: Half-siblings
Sy Scholfield quotes "Die Meißner Chronik: Von Erbauung der Stadt, bis zum Jahre 1588: nebst einem Anhang, Volume 1" by Moritz Grünewald (Rothe, 1829), p. 169: "Er war ein Sohn des Churfürsten Johann, und wurde am 30. Juni 1503 Abends zwischen 6 und 7 Uhr geboren.[Translation: He was a son of the Elector Johann, and was born on 30 June 1503 between 6 and 7 o'clock in the evening].
- Notable : Famous : Royal family