|born on||3 November 1943 at 14:30 (= 2:30 PM )|
|Place||Glasgow, Scotland, 55n53, 4w15|
|Timezone||GDT h1e (is daylight saving time)|
|Astrology data||10°15' 19°41 Asc. 22°46'|
Scottish musician, singer, songwriter and acoustic guitarist for the folk rock group "Pentangle." A leading figure in British folk music in the 1960s-1970s, Jansch’s deeply touching songs, virtuoso guitar skills and dark, passionate voice have delighted audiences for over 35 years. He has over 21 albums, both solo and with "Pentangle," to his credit.
Born in Scotland, Jansch honed his skills in the folk scene of Edinburgh before leaving to travel Europe. He settled in London during the early 1960s, and his original songwriting quickly made an impression on the folk community. Almost immediately he landed a contract with Transatlantic, and became a major force in British folk music. His songs were brooding, plaintive and powerful, and "Needle of Death," inspired by the heroin-related death of a friend, is probably his most famous composition. In 1966, he released the highly regarded "Jack Orion."
In 1967,he co-founded "Pentangle," a folk quintet, but continued his solo act. "Pentangle’s" music incorporated elements of jazz, blues, acoustic rock and traditional folk music, and they gained a cult following with albums like "Basket of Light," 1969. Over the next few years, the group achieved great success and toured extensively. Jansch’s solo effort, "Rosemary Lane," 1971, is considered one of his finest works. Although the quintet broke up in 1972, they re-formed briefly during the 1980s and 1990s. Still active as a solo artist, Jansch released "Toy Balloon" in 1998.
He died of lung cancer in London on October 5, 2011.
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1966 ("Jack Orion")
- Social : Joined group 1967 (Co-founded Pentangle)
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1971 ("Rosemary Lane")
- Social : Left group 1972 (Pentangle broke up)
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1998 ("Toy Balloon")
Paul Wright collection, B.C.
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Cancer (Terminal)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Divorces (Two)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Three)
- Personal : Death : Illness/ Disease
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Folk Music
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Group/ Duo (Pentangle)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Instrumentalist (Acoustic guitar)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Song writer
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Vocalist/ Pop, Rock, etc.