|born on||10 May 1937 at 14:15 (= 2:15 PM )|
|Place||Brooklyn (Kings County), New York, 40n38, 73w56|
|Timezone||EDT h4w (is daylight saving time)|
|Astrology data||19°39' 22°36 Asc. 12°30'|
American psychologist and author who was a top figure in humanistic psychology and research in the '70s.
Along with her husband, she co-founded the Institute for Mind Research at Pomona, NY, but will probably be most remembered as Hillary Clinton's "guru," in 1996. She also is a very close colleague of Margaret Mead. Her books include "Varieties of the Psychedelic Experience" and "Mind Games and Listening to the Body." These books, as well as others, teach how to train the mind to get in touch with, "the wonder of the inner and outer worlds that is our legacy." Part of the program is textbook psychology, part is Eastern mysticism and another part itself-help inspiration. In general, the program stresses exercises intended to sharpen senses, improve the memory and find self awareness.
In her early years, she was a disciple of mythologist Jean Campbell and received a doctorate in philosophy of religion from Columbia. Known as being tall, self-assured, lively, exuberant and warm, Houston was born to an actress and gag writer, the latter working for Henny Youngman.
- business associate/partner relationship with Mead, Margaret (born 16 December 1901)
Laurence Hillman writes to PT: She was born in 1937, not 1939. The rest (May 10th, 2:15 PM, Brooklyn, NY) is correct. She gave me the accurate information when I taught at her mystery school in 2000." PT notes that the original entry gave 1939 (probably a typo) giving the following as source notes: "Lynne Erricksson quotes her; in July 2007:
- Traits : Mind : Education extensive (Doctorate in philosophy of religion)
- Traits : Personality : Gracious/ sociable (Self-assured, lively, exuberant, warm)
- Vocation : Education : Administrator (Institute for Mind Research)
- Vocation : Education : Researcher
- Vocation : Healing Fields : Psychologist
- Vocation : Writers : Textbook/ Non-fiction
- Notable : Book Collection : American Book