|born on||24 March 1951 at 02:59 (= 02:59 AM )|
|Place||Elmira, New York, 42n05, 76w48|
|Timezone||EST h5w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||02°52' 14°17 Asc. 21°03'|
American fashion designer, known for innovative styles that appeal to people of all ages, race and sex. One of the hottest designers in the world, the popularity of Hilfiger’s clothing is redefining American style.
Growing up in Elmira, New York, Tommy was the second of nine kids, the son of a watchmaker who was not pleased with his decision to skip college and open a jeans boutique. It was only until later in life that Tommy realized that he was such a poor student due to dyslexia. His business sense was well and functional as shown by his first foray into the fashion world in 1969. Trendy bell-bottom jeans weren’t available in his rural hometown, so he drove to New York City in his 10-year-old Volkswagen with his life savings of $150 in his pocket. Returning home with his purchases, he resold the jeans to local teens for a profit, and used the money to open his own store, "People’s Place," catering to the campus crowd. By age 26, he owned ten specialty shops in upstate New York.
Prior to launching his own clothing line in 1985, he designed for Jordache. One year later, the relative unknown took out a hubristic $3 million ad campaign which declared he was one of the four "Great American Designers for Men." His designs immediately drew attention, with their regatta-bright designs. When a popular rap artist wore a Hilfiger shirt on Saturday Night Live in March 1994, Hilfiger responded by designing baggier garments, and his "street popularity" grew. His accessibility and down-to-earth personality endeared him to the public, resulting in an avid fan following of those who love him and his clothing. His ability to listen to his customers and design what they want paid off handsomely; he’s the driving force behind his company’s success, making it a $400 million fashion empire.
Hilfiger was honored at the VH-1 Fashion and Music Awards in December 1995, where he received the "From the Catwalk to the Sidewalk" award. The Council of Fashion Designers of America, a group of his peers, voted him the "1995 Menswear Designer of the Year." His empire continued to grow, expanding into fragrances, eyewear, footwear, swimming gear and larger sizes.
Married for 20 years, he announced on 7/21/2000 that he and his wife Susie are splitting. The couple has four children.
- Work : Begin Major Project 1985 (His own clothing line)
- Work : Gain social status March 1994 (Hilfiger shirt appears on S.N.L., gain of popularity)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Work : Prize 1995 (Menswear Designer of the Year)
- Relationship : End significant relationship 21 July 2000 (Separating from wife Susie)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Marjorie Rosen quotes Roger Saterlee by email, who had asked Tommy's mom. Roger writes, "I first asked Tommy when I started to get hooked on astrology, 1970-71, I think. I was helping him clear some trash out of the basement space beneath a shoe store for his first business, a headshop called The People's Place. He did not know his time of birth. A couple years ago I got curious again and asked his mom. She remembered the times of all her kids. (Tommy was second of nine.)
"I had heated discussions with Tommy who thinks astrology is a total crock, so, though he's not made his birthday a secret, I hope he does not get mad at me - again!" In 2004, another trusted source passed on a time of 6:17 AM (same date and place) from him.
- Traits : Personality : Ambitious
- Traits : Personality : Hard worker
- Diagnoses : Psychological : Dyslexia
- Family : Childhood : Family large (Nine kids)
- Family : Childhood : Order of birth (Second of nine)
- Family : Relationship : Marriage more than 15 Yrs (First marriage 20 years)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Four)
- Lifestyle : Financial : Rags to riches (Small town to national)
- Vocation : Beauty : Designer/ Fashion (Noted designer)
- Vocation : Business : Entrepreneur
- Notable : Awards : Vocational award (Three)