|born on||1 January 1866 Jul.Cal. (13 Jan 1866 greg.) at 00:45 (= 12:45 AM )|
|Place||Alexandropol (Gyumri), Armenia, 40n47, 43e51|
|Timezone||LMT m43e51 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||22°33' 06°10 Asc. 26°24'|
Armenian/Rusian Sufi and brilliant practitioner of the Sufi faith, born to a Greek father (Ἰωάνης Γεωργιάδης) and Armenian mother in Alexandropol (now Gyumri, Armenia), then part of the Russian Empire. He became a guru who traveled the far and near East before establishing a center in France. His closest student, P.D. Ouspensky, born 4 March 1878 (OS), wrote extensively of his teachings. His book In search of the miraculous is availble online. Gurdjeff's book Meetings with Remarkable Men includes his biography, and a film with the same title by Peter Brook (born 21 March 1925) is based on it.
He died on 29 October 1949.
- business associate/partner relationship with Ouspenskii, P.D. (born 2 September 1877 Jul.Cal. (14 Sep 1877 greg.))
- (has as) student relationship with Ichazo, Oscar (born 24 July 1931)
- (has as) devotee relationship with Bennett, John G. (born 8 June 1897)
- (has as) recipient relationship with Peters, Fritz (born 2 March 1913)
Church of Light from Predictions, 8/1964, time given by his sister as just after midnight. (January 1, 1872 OS) Penfield quotes Mayer for 00:39 AM from "Gurdjieff Memoirs," however, Mayer in "Handbook of Astrology" quotes Davison for that time. Lescaut corrected his original 1877 to 1872 in his Pisces book errata sheet, quoting Jacques Dorsen's "Dictionary Des societes Secretes."
Various dates are given but literature repeats that there is no known birth date.
In his autobiography, "Gurdjieff Himself," p.9, he explicitly and implicitly indicated 1866, with all historic references, but his stories were so varied and fanciful, that even this is suspect.
Taeger IHL has 13 January 1877, 00:45 (12.45 am), quoting an unnamed Gurdjeff pupil to Taeger himself.
Wikipedia holds the date 13 January 1966 (Gregorian calendar, corresponding to 1 January Russian calendar). An extensive chronology of his life is found at www.gurdjieff.org, which holds also January 1866 as birth year.
- Vocation : Religion : Ecclesiastics/ eastern (Sufi teacher)
- Vocation : Religion : Spiritual Leader/ Guru
- Notable : Book Collection : Occult/ Misc. Collection