|born on||17 August 1876 at 04:18 (= 04:18 AM )|
|Place||Swansea, Wales, 51n38, 3w57|
|Timezone||GMT h0e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||24°33' 22°01 Asc. 15°30'|
American astrologer who greatly advanced the astrology of his day with his publication of books that include Lewi's "Astrology for the Millions," and "Planetary Hour Book."
In 1898, he moved to Chicago, IL with his family from their native Wales. After studying astrology with William Henry Chaney in Portland, OR, he founded the Llewellyn Publishing Company and the Portland School of Astrology. In 1906, he launched the "Moon Sign Book" which still appears annually. George attempted to dissociate astrology from all forms of occultism and to explain it solely in terms of modern science. He enjoyed only mixed success, yet contributed much to the increasing interest in and respect for astrology among the general public. His book, "A to Z Horoscope Maker and Delineator," 1910, was to America what Alan Leo's books were to Britain in putting astrology in the hands of the public." His "New Age Almanac" is a fount of information on the historical development of astrology and metaphysics, and naturopathy. It was published in 1991 by Visible Ink Press, Detroit, Michigan and is out of print as of 1999.
George was troubled with health problems, aphasia, in his later years. He died 7/11/1954, Los Angeles, CA.
(Quotes from J Gordon Melton's "New Age Almanac", page 275)
- sibling relationship with Abrams, Griff (born 25 January 1880)
- Family : Change in family responsibilities 1898 (Moved to Chicago)
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1906 (Released the "Moon Sign Book")
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1910 ("A to Z Horoscope Maker" published)
- Death, Cause unspecified 11 July 1954 at 12:00 noon in Los Angeles, CA (Age 77)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1991 (Released "New Age Almanac")
Church of Light quotes a copy of his own chart
- Traits : Body : Constitution sensitive (Poor health)
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Brain (Aphasia)
- Lifestyle : Home : Expatriate (Wales to U.S.)
- Vocation : Business : Business owner (Llewellyn Publishing Co.)
- Vocation : Occult Fields : Astrologer (Pro)
- Vocation : Writers : Astrology
- Notable : Famous : Founder/ originator (Founder Portland School of Astrology)
- Notable : Famous : Top 5% of Profession
- Notable : Book Collection : Occult/ Misc. Collection