|Birthname||Mary Elizabeth Anania|
|born on||3 July 1949|
|Place||Jacksonville, Florida, 30n20, 81w39|
|Timezone||EST h5w (is standard time)|
American lawyer and wife of politician John Edwards, mother of four children. She gave up a successful career as a bankruptcy lawyer for motherhood and wifehood;
The daughter of a decorated Navy pilot, she saw much of the world in her youth and spent her early school years in Japan.
After graduating from UNC Chapel Hill, she started a Ph.D. program in American literature but subsequently enrolled at Chapel Hill's law school in the fall 1974. That's where she met her future husband whom she married on July 30, 1977. He said she was the brightest person in the class. She was certainly articulate, poised, and well-read and her charming assertiveness endeared her to her classmates, including her future husband.
In addition to her successful law practice, she was known as the perfect Mom to son Wade and daughter Cate, attending every parent-teacher meeting and every soccer game, and creating a home where her children were free to bring their friends and often did. "She enjoyed the law, but she didn't let it define her," friend Bonnie Weyher said in 2003. "Her first priority was always her family, keeping the kids happy, keeping John happy. She was content to let him be the name." When her oldest child, Wade, died in a fiery auto crash in April 1996, both Elizabeth and John took time off from their careers. They made the decision to have more children, but since Elizabeth was already in her late 40s, she needed extensive hormone treatments. She later delivered two healthy young children, Emma Claire at age 48, Jack at 50 and devoted all her time to her young family. In 2003, when her husband made his unsuccessful bid for the Democratic nomination for President, and in 2004, when he was nominated for Vice President, she was at his side campaigning, with the two youngest children in tow. On July 28, 2004, at the Democratic National Convention, her daughter Cate, just graduating from Princeton University, introduced her lovingly, and, in turn, Elizabeth introduced her husband to the delegates. Edwards announced on November 4, 2004 that she had received a diagnosis of breast cancer. The week prior, while still on the campaign trail, she discovered a lump in her breast and her family doctor, consulted on October 29, 2004, said that the lump appeared to be malignant. On November 3, 2004, minutes after her husband and John Kerry completed their public concession speech, she was whisked off to a Boston, MA hospital where tests confirmed that she had invasive ductile breast cancer. Further tests confirmed that the cancer had not spread and Edwards embarked on a course of chemotherapy. On March 22, 2007, she and her husband announced that her cancer had returned and had spread to her rib cage. In addition to her diagnosis, she endured her husband's admission of an affair in 2006, public acknowledgment of it in 2008, and subsequent criticism of her own role as an "enabler" druing his campaign which critics said was based on misrepresentation. Her book "Resilience" was released in May 2009.
She died at her home in Chapel Hill, NC on December 7, 2010 at 10:15 AM according to news reports citing her family.
- spouse relationship with Edwards, John (born 10 June 1953)
- Social : Great Publicity 28 July 2004 (introduced husband at Democratic National Convention)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Relationship : Difficult period 2006 (Knowledge of husband's affair and subsequent political campaign)
- Death by Disease 7 December 2010 at 10:15 AM in Chapel Hill, NC (From metastatic breast cancer, age 61)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
from media reports; no time given
- Traits : Mind : Education extensive (law degree)
- Traits : Personality : Articulate
- Traits : Personality : Charismatic
- Traits : Personality : Gracious/ sociable
- Traits : Personality : Loved by all
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Cancer (invasive ductal breast cancer)
- Family : Childhood : Advantaged
- Family : Childhood : Other Childhood (spent early years abroad/father in Navy)
- Family : Relationship : Marriage more than 15 Yrs
- Family : Relationship : Mate - Noted (John Edwards, politician)
- Family : Parenting : Birthing - Fertility problems (took hormones to conceive two youngest)
- Family : Parenting : Extraordinarily nurturing
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (four)
- Family : Parenting : Kids -Traumatic event
- Family : Parenting : Parenting late more than 40 (had two youngest children in her late 40s)
- Lifestyle : Financial : Gain - Money Through Marriage
- Lifestyle : Social Life : Friends
- Personal : Death : Illness/ Disease
- Vocation : Law : Attorney (bankruptcy attorney)
- Vocation : Writers : Autobiographer