Du Maurier, Daphne
|born on||13 May 1907 at 16:00 (= 4:00 PM )|
|Place||London, England, 51n30, 0w10|
|Timezone||GMT h0w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||21°44' 06°13 Asc. 14°09'|
British writer and noted family, the second of three daughters of the famous actor-manager Gerald duMaurier. One of the century's most popular writers, she was first published at 21 with articles and short stories and a first novel in 1931. Her books include "Jamaica Inn," 1936, "Frenchman's Creek," 1941, "My Cousin Rachel," 1951 and "The Scapegoat," 1957, all made into movies. Her most famous work was "Rebecca," published in 1938, which had 39 reprints and was made into a film.
She married Tommy Browning, a hero of WW II; three kids, two girls and a boy. She lived in Cornwall with her family all of her life, seldom going out in public and writing always. While married, she had an affair with Gertrude Lawrence, though her bisexuality was never revealed during her lifetime. Widowed in 1965, she continued to live a secluded life on the wild Cornish coast, friendly with her neighbors but shunning publicity. She remarked, "Can't say I really like people."
DuMaurier died in her sleep 4/19/1989 at her home.
- child relationship with Du Maurier, Christian (born 3 November 1940)
- child relationship with Du Maurier, Flavia (born 2 April 1937)
- child relationship with Du Maurier, Tessa (born 15 July 1933)
Helene Koppejan sends a letter from DuMaurier in which she writes, "The 13th of May, 1907 in Regent's Park, North London at about half-past three to half-past four in the afternoon, so I have always understood." Koppejans rectified to 3:14 PM.
Dana Holliday quotes biographer Margaret Forster "Daphne DuMaurier, The Secret Life of the Renouned Storyteller," (1994, p.3) "Mom went into labor the evening of May 12; toward dawn the next day the weather changed . . . labor through the day . . . by 5:30 Muriel DuMaurier gave birth to her second daughter."
- Vocation : Writers : Fiction
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 81)
- Notable : Book Collection : Profiles Of Women
- Family : Childhood : Family noted (Dad)
- Passions : Sexuality : Bi-Sexual
- Family : Relationship : Stress - Extramarital affairs (Affair with Gertrude Lawrence)
- Notable : Famous : Top 5% of Profession
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3 (Three)
- Family : Relationship : Marriage more than 15 Yrs (With Tommy Browning)
- Family : Childhood : Order of birth (Second of three girls)