|born on||9 September 1951 at 22:55 (= 10:55 PM )|
|Place||Adelaide, Australia, 34s55, 138e35|
|Timezone||ACST h9e30 (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||16°03' 26°37 Asc. 17°41'|
Australian politician, Foreign Affairs Minister in the '90s. From a noted family, he is the son of Sir Alexander Downer, a former Federal Minister, while his grandfather was Sir John Downer, a Premier of South Australia and Senator for South Australia. Educated in Oxford and the University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, he graduated with BA Honors in politics and economics.
In his political career, Downer was elected as the inaugural member for the electorate of Mayo in December 1984, marking his entrance into Australian federal politics. He entered the shadow ministry in 1987 as the spokesperson on Arts, Heritage and the Environment and during the following two years he served as Shadow Minister for Housing, Small Business and Customs. In 1990-1992 he was Shadow Minister for Trade and Trade Negotiations and in 1992-1993, Shadow Minister for Defence. He was made Shadow Treasurer in 1993 to May 1994, when he was elected as Leader of the Opposition, a post which he kept until late January 1995.
He was then Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs for a year and in 1996, Federal Australian Minister for Foreign Affairs.
Married to Nicky, he had three daughters and one son. His interests include tennis, literature and music.
- Work : New Job 1987 (Spokesperson on Arts, Heritage and the Environment)
- Work : New Job 1990 (Shadow Minister for Trade)
- Work : New Job 1992 (Shadow Minister of Defense, one year)
- Work : New Job 1993 (Shadow Treasurer)
- Work : New Job 1996 (Federal Australian Minister for Foreign Affairs)
Stephanie Johnson quotes a letter from his electorate office, given in The Southern Astrologer .
- Family : Childhood : Advantaged
- Family : Childhood : Family noted (Politically noted family)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Four, three daughters and one son)
- Lifestyle : Social Life : Hobbies, games (Literature and music)
- Lifestyle : Social Life : Sports (Tennis)
- Vocation : Politics : Public office (Shadow ministries, Foreign Affairs Minister)