|born on||26 August 1921 at 21:48 (= 9:48 PM )|
|Place||Chicago, Illinois, 41n51, 87w39|
|Timezone||CST h6w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||03°19' 11°08 Asc. 24°23'|
American clinical psychologist and astrologer. As an astrologer she counsels up to 100 people a year and is the author of many books and a researcher on asteroids. Well respected in the field, Dobyns is the winner of the 1992 Regulus Award for Education and a second Regulus Award for Discovery and Innovation, 1995.
The daughter of a publisher, Zip remembers her childhood as one blessed with wonderful parents and a supportive upbringing. As the eldest of four kids and the only girl, she tended her brothers and always wanted to have her own kids. She earned a B.A. in anthropology in 1944.
She married Henry Dobyns on 10/30/1948 in Tucson, AZ and promptly had her family, Rique on 9/16/1949, Bill on 12/04/1950, Maritha on 5/21/1952 and Mark on 2/09/1955. The kids later followed her lead, more or less, into astrology. She and Henry (who became an anthropology professor) separated on 8/26/1952 and divorced 8/28/1958.
In the Fall of 1956 she began the study of astrology and was certified as a professional astrologer after the AFA exam in 1960. She began her study of clinical psychology in 1962 at the University of Arizona. In 1965, Zip was ordained as a minister in the Community Church of Religious Science. Since then she worked professionally in astrology, counseling. teaching, and writing. With post-grad work, she earned an M..A. in 1966 and a Ph.D. in 1969. By 2000, Zip was world-known, having lectured in 16 countries and 36 U.S. states.
On 6/29/1999, Dobyns had a large tumor removed from her ovaries, a complete hysterectomy followed by six chemotherapy treatment on 8/16, 9/07, 9/28, 10/19, 11/11 and 11/30/1999. The blood marker for ovarian cancer was normal, a highly encouraging indicator of complete remission.
With a strong belief system of personal responsibility, she was convinced that her cancer was the direct result of misplayed mothering. Her trust was betrayed by a young woman whom she had befriended and given a home to who then sued her the end of 1997 for a dog-bite on the property.
Zip Dobyns died on June 7, 2003 sometime in the wee hours ("between 3 and 6 AM") at her home in Jamul, CA.
- parent->child relationship with Pottenger, Maritha (born 21 May 1952)
- parent->child relationship with Pottenger, Mark (born 9 February 1955)
- parent->child relationship with Pottenger, Rique (born 16 September 1949)
- Social : Begin a program of study 1956 (Astrology)
- Social : Begin a program of study 1962 (clinical psychology)
- Crime : Law suit 1997 (sued by a woman who sustained a dog bite on Zip's property)
LMR quotes her 1978, legal use of CST for the registry is assumed.
- Traits : Mind : Education extensive (Ph.D.)
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Cancer
- Family : Childhood : Order of birth (eldest of four kids)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (four)
- Personal : Religion/Spirituality : New Age (Ordained minister in Community Church of Religious Science)
- Vocation : Occult Fields : Astrologer
- Vocation : Writers : Astrology
- Notable : Awards : Other Awards (Regulus Award)