|born on||15 July 1893 at 22:00 (= 10:00 PM )|
|Place||Ludwigshafen, Germany, 49n29, 8e27|
|Timezone||MET h1e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||23°31' 25°17 Asc. 03°02'|
German-American actor, screenwriter, film director and producer of German and American films. Dieterle was the youngest of nine children raised in a poverty-stricken family. He learned to hustle money at an early age, wheeling and dealing in scrap and whatever juvenile enterprise that he could find. Beginning his acting career in his teens, he appeared in various theatrical groups throughout Germany and Switzerland before joining Max Reinhardt in 1918 in Berlin. Appearing in many silents from 1913-1926, he started directing in 1923, appearing in many of his own films. He emigrated to Hollywood in 1930 beginning with such films as "The Last Flight" and "Her Majesty Love." In 1939 he moved over to RKO and directed one of his best films, "All that Money Can Buy."
In 1941, Dieterle, along with Fritz Lang, financed the immigration of two German stars into the U.S. and came under attack by McCarthyists in 1947. Although he was never formally charged, his passport was confiscated in 1951 and 1953. After that, worthy directing assignments became elusive. Returning to Europe he made three films, returning to the U.S. for a disastrous last production before he retired in 1965.
Dieterle married stage actress Charlotte Hagenbruch. Dieterle died 12/09/1972, Ottobrunn, Germany.
- Death, Cause unspecified 9 December 1972 (Age 79)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Work : New Job 1913 (13 years in silent films)
- Work : New Job 1923 (Began directing)
- Family : Change residence 1930 (First move to Hollywood)
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1939 (Directed movie, "All That Money Can Buy")
- Work : Lose social status 1947 (Attack by McCarthy)
- Work : Retired 1965
- Financial : Lose significant money 1941 (Helped finance two stars from Germany)
B.R. in hand from Steinbrecher
- Vocation : Business : Top executive (CEO)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Actor/ Actress (Silents and talkies)
- Vocation : Entertain/Business : Director
- Vocation : Writers : Playwright/ script
- Vocation : Entertain/Business : Entertain Producer
- Family : Relationship : Mate - Noted (Charlotte Hagenbruch)
- Lifestyle : Home : Expatriate (Germany, Switzerland, U.S.)
- Lifestyle : Home : Many moves
- Family : Childhood : Order of birth (Ninth of nine)
- Family : Childhood : Family large (Nine kids)
- Passions : Criminal Victim : Social crime victim (Under investigation by McCarthy)